Chapter 4

Have to warn the King. Have to warn the King. Have to warn the King...

The day was going so well, and now Makuu feels like having a heart attack. That, in his mind, beats the alternative of dealing with the sudden arrival of Kellan. However, as leader of the crocodiles - and as Kellan's son - Makuu knows he doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

This is not going to go over well. What am I supposed to do? How am I supposed to tell anyone about this? I couldn't even tell Kiburi, and he's the one I'm most worried about!

Makuu continued to stall for about another half hour before he sucked it up and journeyed to Pride Rock.

***

When Makuu was less than half a mile away from the base of Priderock, he noticed that both the Royal family and the Guard were already present. He didn't know what was going on at first, until he saw someone else that wasn't part of either group.

Basi? He's not with his pod? Well, if this is about Kellan, I guess he had the same idea as me.

Makuu took a breath and continued onward.

"Ah, Makuu, you're here," Simba spoke, eventually noticing the crocodile leader. "We were wondering what was taking you so long. We were just about to ask Ono to go looking for you."

"Well, I'm here now," Makuu replied, then lied by asking, "What are you all doing here? Is there something going on that I should know about?"

"Oh, I'm pretty sure you're here for the same reason that Basi wanted us all here for," Simba answered.

Not gonna lie, he's right about that, Makuu thought, not outwardly answering Simba. He sighed and looked away from the King.

"I'm going to take that as positive clarification of my point. Now, which of you two is going to tell us why we're all here?"

The question puzzled Makuu.

"Wait..." Makuu said, looking up to stare at Basi. "You didn't tell them?"

"Not yet," Basi replied, a bit nervously.

"Why not?"

"I...I don't really know. I guess I thought that it would be better if you told them instead of me."

"Will one of you get on with it already?" Simba interrupted. "What do you need to tell us?"

No more delaying now, Makuu thought, taking a deep breath . . . Well, here goes nothing . . before finally answering.

"A very dangerous crocodile called Kellan was exiled from the Pridelands years ago, and now, he's back."

The Royals and the Guard shared looks with each other. Some seemed concerned, but they mostly looked confused.

"Who's Kellan?" Kion asked.

Makuu sighed. He didn't want to answer the cub's question, but he knew that he had to.

"Kellan...is my father," Makuu relented.

"Your father?!" The Royals and the Guard exclaimed, to which Makuu nodded in response.

"How come I've never met or heard of him before?" Simba inquired.

Probably because you weren't even born yet, or rather, you left the Pridelands before all hell broke loose.

Makuu didn't dare voice his thoughts, for he knows how Simba gets whenever anyone mentions the past, his past, around him.

"Come to think of it, neither have I," Nala voiced.

"Really?" Simba questioned, eyeing Makuu from beside his mate.

You have got to be kidding me. He doesn't believe me? Why...ugh...why do I even bother?

"I'm afraid Makuu speaks the truth, your majesty," Basi spoke. "Kellan is a very dangerous crocodile, to everyone both inside the Pridelands and out."

After what Basi just said, the Royals and the Guard seemed more grimm about the situation with Kellan, and suddenly started taking it seriously.

"Alright, then, tell us everything," Simba ordered.

Everyone began to settle, except for Makuu. He didn't want to be there. He didn't want to talk about his father or revisit the past. And he certainly didn't want to be around a bunch of animals that don't believe him.

"Makuu, are you alright?" Nala's voice caught the crocodile's attention. Everyone was looking at him.

"Since when am I ever alright?" Makuu retorted. "My father is back in the Pridelands after having been gone for years, and now you're all going to talk about him. I just don't want to be present for all that stuff. So, I'm going home."

"Makuu..."

"If this is about your father, then you should stay," Simba interrupted his mate. "No one knows him better than you."

"Quite the assumption," Makuu said, rolling his eyes as he turned away from the others. "Besides, at least one animal here knows my father, so I don't see a problem with you getting the information you need from a trusted source."

"'A trusted source'?"

"Simba..." Nala tried to calm her mate, but he wasn't listening.

"Are you saying that I'm not trusting you?"

"Did you not hear what I just said?" Makuu snapped.

"I did, but I don't understand why you said that. Of course I trust you!"

At this, Makuu had to laugh.

"Oh really?" Makuu questioned, sounding amused. He turned just enough to look Simba in the eye and say, "Your actions, or rather, lack of them, speak louder than your words, my dear king."

"Makuu, I highly suggest you take back what you just said, or else," Simba threatened.

The crocodile was very much unconvinced. He snickered in amusement, then walked away.

"Makuu! Makuu, get back here, now!" Simba yelled.

Not until I get this whole thing with Kellan sorted out once and for all. This is a family matter, afterall, and one that's only meant for us crocodiles.