Chapter 21

Another night has come and gone, as Zane could tell from a single, blinding ray of light that just barely shone through his cavern's entrance. It wasn't a silver ray that would have come from the moon, so he knew that it was the next day. He had spent enough time in cramped, shady corners to recognize the differences between sun rays and moon rays. Not that he could clarify anyway, as he's been forbidden from leaving the cave unless it was an emergency...

And spirits forbid without an escort, Zane thought, staring at a pair of nearby lionesses through slitted eyes. The lionesses were mostly silent, but often leaned into one another and whispered. By their constantly shifting gazes, Zane knew that they were talking about him. However, due to his sickness and overall weakened state, he couldn't hear what they were saying.

Suddenly, the lionesses stopped talking and raised their heads. Something had caught their attention. Zane waited anxiously to see what would happen next, as his only entertainment since being forced to recover in Pride Rock was Kunto. The young crocodile seemed to be the only one who could get Zane to laugh, let alone crack a simple smile.

"Zane?"

The lion's attention perked when he heard his name. His gaze fixed on the entrance, he noticed Kunto with the young prince, Kion. The Royal couple was standing just behind them, flanked by the two lionesses.

"Are you sure you don't want some extra claws around? I mean, company?" Simba asked.

"Dad, we'll be fine," Kion sighed, his fur lightly standing on end. "Zane's still recovering, remember? Rafiki and Makini are good, but they aren't miracle workers."

"True, but still..."

"Simba, just leave them alone," Nala interrupted, placing a paw in front of her mate. "They'll be fine."

As the Royals continued to argue with each other, Kunto made her way over to Zane.

"You risk getting sick if you get too close, remember?" Zane recalled, his jaws shifting to form a smile.

"Yeah, I know," Kunto said, not so much of a hint of worry in her voice. "You don't need to remind me, like you've been doing for days now."

"Well, if you do end up getting sick,..."

"My uncle will beat you to a pulp. Trust me, I remember, but I wouldn't worry about that. I made him promise not to kill you, so long as you promise..."

"Not to finish what I started long before. Trust me, I remember, too."

By now, Kunto was standing almost snout-to-muzzle with Zane. They were alone, except for Kion, who appeared to be minding his own business at the entrance. The Royals and the two lionesses were nowhere in sight.

"So, how're you holding up?" Kunto asked.

"Oh, you know, could be better," Zane huffed, then chuckled. "And I guess it could be worse, too. Oh well. What's to be done about it?"

Kunto looked at Zane with a somewhat unreadable expression. On one claw, she appeared to be happy, but on the other claw, she seemed anxious about something.

"What's the matter, kid? I told you, I'm doing fine. Well, I'm not exactly doing any worse, either. You know?"

Kunto kept her jaw shut, and still kept that look on her face.

"Kunto. What?" Zane demanded, his tone hard, but not harsh.

The young crocodile took a breath, then bent her head to look down at her claws making circular motions in the stone of the cave floor.

"It's just . . . well, you know . . . you remember, don't you?" Kunto sounded distant, as if she were in another world. A chill ran along Zane's spine that he couldn't shake.