Chapter 8

Ugh...what happened? Kiburi thought, groaning as he came-to. It feels like I've been trampled by a herd of wildebeest or something. Of course, if I was trampled by a herd of wildebeest, I wouldn't exactly be alive right now.

The scales on Kiburi's face felt warm, while the rest of his body felt nice and cool. Confused by this, he let his eyes flicker open. It took a moment for them to adjust, but once they did, Kiburi realized that he was in a large den, formed some time ago when a huge tree dislodged from the earth and fell over. It blocked him in from all sides except for one -- a large hole right in front of his face.

Well, that explains the temperature difference. Unfortunately . . . The entrance -- or exit -- was completely blocked by the toppled tree's thick roots. There were plenty of holes of various sizes among the entangled roots, but despite there being enough room to allow sunlight to pass through . . . They aren't big enough for me to get through. At least, it doesn't look like I can.

"Well, well, well, . . . look who's finally awake."

Kiburi's head shot up at the sound of the voice, and his eyes immediately locked onto those of an older male crocodile. It didn't take Kiburi long to recognize who it was, or to remember what happened.

"Kellan," Kiburi growled, his eyes narrowing in aggression.

"Yes, Kiburi, it's your favorite crocodile," Kellan joked.

"Yeah, right! So, what's the plan now, huh? What do you want with me?"

"In due time, Kiburi, but first things first, I must give credit where credit's due."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean that little trick you pulled the other night. You know, to make sure your precious little girl didn't get captured, either."

Kiburi froze. He nearly forgot about Kunto.

Oh stars, I hope she's safe. What about Zula and the others? Are they alright? What are you thinking, Kiburi? Of course they aren't! They have no idea where you are! Actually, I have no idea where I am, either.

"I don't have Kunto, nor have I gone after the rest of your family," Kellan suddenly said. "I mean, I have you now, so there's no need to worry about that matter."

"I surprisingly believe you," Kiburi stated. "Now, where am I, and what are you planning on doing with me?"

If Kellan was shocked to hear that Kiburi actually believed him, he showed no signs of it.

"One, that's for me to know, and for you not to know," Kellan answered. "And two, . . ."

All of a sudden, Kellan stopped talking. Then, he started laughing.

"What's so funny?" Kiburi asked, unease pricking at his scales.

"Oh, nothing," Kellan chuckled. "Except for the fact that you haven't figured it out on your own just yet."

"I . . . don't understand."

"Let me put it a different way -- why do you think you're still alive, even though we both know that, without a doubt, I would have killed you when I took you down and out that night?"

Kiburi knew, as much as he hated to admit it, that Kellan was right. However, he still didn't understand what the other was trying to get at.

"You don't have a clue, do you?" Kellan spoke.

"How the hell am I supposed to?!" Kiburi snapped.

"Hm...disappointing. Then again, what should I expect from the offspring of a rogue? I mean, you never were that much of a crocodile. Courtesy of your heritage, you certainly skipped out on the size, power, and intelligence. Now that I think about it, I wonder how a crocodile like you managed to score such a prize as magnificent as that beautiful young female you're more than lucky enough to call a mate."

"SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!" Kiburi yelled, unleashing his rage upon Kellan.

But in the moment, as Kiburi lunged at Kellan, he felt a horrible pain erupt all along his front right leg. He gritted his teeth as the shock hit him, and released a pained breath when he landed against the hard earth.

"Something the matter, Kiburi?" Kellan laughed as he stared down at the injured crocodile. "In a bit of pain, are we?"

"What...what's wrong with my leg?" Kiburi gasped.

"Oh, right, that. Did I forget to mention that I took very special extra precautions, just in case you somehow manage to escape?"

"I would think that something like that would have been nice to know earlier!"

Kiburi took advantage of his remaining energy to raise his front half up to Kellan's eye level, using his not-as-horribly-damaged left side as leverage.

"It's nothing permanent, I can assure you of that," Kellan answered.

"It better not be," Kiburi huffed, exhausted.

"Well, it seems like someone's fire is about to go out."

"I'm done with you, Kellan. I just want you to answer my question, so that you can finally leave me alone for a while. So, my question being: What do you want with me? It must be for something pretty damn important if I'm still alive."

Kellan was silent as he stood on the other side of the wooden barricade, staring at Kiburi, his expression unreadable.

"...Your father," Kellan finally answered, to which Kiburi was not expecting at all on either front.

"...What?" Kiburi breathed.

"This isn't about you, Kiburi," Kellan stated. "Not entirely, anyway. You're just a part of the plan."

"Wait, so you're planning on using me as bait? How is that supposed to work? My father and I never knew each other! Why should he care about saving the son he has no connection to?"

"Oh...Kiburi, Kiburi, Kiburi...you underestimate the power of family through blood, and if my hunch is right, your father will come."

"But how would he know about . . . this?"

"Honestly, you should be more concerned about what will happen to you if he doesn't show up for whatever reason he could possibly have at his disposal."

"And what will happen if he does come?"

"Ha! Oh please, Kiburi, even I will admit that you're not that stupid. You know exactly what I'm planning on doing once he arrives."

"...You won't get away with this, Kellan!"

"We shall see, Kiburi. We shall see. Until then..."

Kellan fell silent and leaned closer to Kiburi, his gaze locked onto the other.

"Let's just hope that your father puts in as much effort into saving you as you did in trying to find him, 'rogue born'."

With that last bitter stab to the heart, Kellan left Kiburi alone for the rest of the day.