Chapter 11

Come on, Kiburi, where are you? You and Kunto couldn't have possibly walked all the way to the end of the world . . . wherever that may be, Makuu thought as he wandered aimlessly through the jungle.

It's been days, maybe even weeks as far Makuu is concerned since he left the Pridelands in search of the missing father and daughter duo. So far, he has had no luck in finding any evidence of them, but he at least had a hunch. If Kellan is involved, which Makuu knows, without a doubt, that he is, then the jungle would be the perfect place to grab what he needed and go. In other words, knab Kiburi, and possibly Kunto, too, and get as far away from the Pridelands as possible, without leaving a trail behind, and Makuu knew that his father was not even remotely that stupid. Kellan would always let his presence be known, but he would never give away his location, except when he does so on purpose. In either case, Makuu always kept his guard up.

***

After hours of fruitless searching, Makuu decides to give it a break for the day. He settles amongst the roots of a giant tree and falls asleep, only awakening when he feels a sliver of the sun's rays pouring through spots in the canopy and onto his scales. He arises and stretches, then takes off.

Another day, another . . . whatever. I hope today is better than yesterday. I just need a sign or something that tells me that they're alive! Is that really too much to ask?

***

"Kiburi!" Makuu gasped, whilst thinking, By the stars! I can't believe it! I hoped for today to be a good day, and I have not been disappointed!

The word 'yet' lingered in his thoughts, but at that moment, he couldn't focus on the bad. Makuu refused to, as he, in a state of shocked relief, rushed over to Kiburi, only to get his snout stuck between the holes of the large tree roots that kept Kiburi trapped.

"Makuu?" Kiburi gasped. "How did you find me? And by stars, back up before you hurt yourself!"

"You're worried about me?" Makuu questioned once he pulled his jaws free. "Have you looked at yourself lately? In case you haven't noticed, you look like crap."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I missed you, too, Makuu."

As much as he really wanted to reply with a retort, under the present circumstances, Makuu refused to.

"What? No retort?" Kiburi asked.

"No! Not at a time like this!" Makuu exclaimed, then took a breath to calm himself. Suddenly, he noticed something. "Hey, Kiburi, where's Kunto?"

"You mean she's not back in the Pridelands?"

"Kiburi, I have been searching for you for days, maybe even weeks now. I don't know. What I do know, though, is that I have no idea whether Kunto made it back home or not because I literally haven't been there in what feels like forever!"

"Okay, okay! I get the point!"

Kiburi took a breath before continuing.

"Kunto escaped. I managed to buy her some time to get away."

"Why didn't . . ." Makuu was about to ask, then stopped to look Kiburi in the eye.

"Kellan go after her?" Kiburi finished, knowing exactly what Makuu was going to ask. "He didn't need to. He just wanted me. As far as Kellan was concerned, Kunto would have just been a free bonus."

"Oh. Then, why does he want you? Speaking of which, why aren't you dead?"

"Very subtle, Makuu."

"I'm being serious, Kiburi. We all know that Kellan would give anything to kill you, and clearly he had the chance. So, why didn't he?"

Instead of answering, Kiburi opted to keep his jaws shut.

"Well, regardless of what your answer is, I'm getting you out of here," Makuu said.

Now . . . how exactly would I do that?

"NO!"

Makuu immediately turned on Kiburi, shocked by his response. The trapped crocodile shut his jaws, again, and averted his eyes.

"What did you just say?" Makuu asked.

"I...I didn't mean to say no," Kiburi stuttered. "Well, I mean, I sort of did, but not really."

"Kiburi, you are not making any sense right now."

"Listen, Makuu, what I'm trying to tell you is that, as much as I want to leave, I can't."

"Alright, what did Kellan bribe or threaten you with this time?"

Kiburi looked irritated, but he still didn't answer any of the questions that Makuu wanted answers to.

Well, whatever. He can be a grumpy puss all he wants, but I came all this way, and I ain't leaving him behind now.

Suddenly, a strong force shoved Makuu away from Kiburi, sending him rolling through the earth. When he came to a stop, his body ached all over. He could barely even hear Kiburi's voice through his daze.

"Ow . . . that hurt," Makuu groaned as he struggled to get up. "What happened? It felt like being trampled by a herd of antelope."

"I can assure you, we are way worse than any group of any herbivore."

Before Makuu could get a good look at who spoke, he was attacked from behind and pinned down.

"Or any other animal group for that matter, if ya want to think about it in the grand scheme of things," someone else added.

"What's going on?" Makuu choked out. "Who are you guys?"

"Family, believe it or not," another one answered, but this time, Makuu could have sworn he recognized the speaker. He looked up, and immediately got his answer.

"Kellan," Makuu growled, glaring at his father.

"Surprised to see me?" Kellan teased.

"Not at all."

"And you came here all alone? Funny. I thought you would have been smart enough to bring some back-up. Another crocodile, at least."

"I didn't want anyone else to get involved. This is a family matter, after all. Speaking of which, what did you mean when you said 'family'?"

"Ah, yes! How rude of me! You must forgive me, Makuu, for I forgot that you have never met any of our extended family before."

"Extended . . . family?" Makuu breathed.

"Yes, yes, extended family," Kellan said with a smile on his face. "Makuu, my son, I would love for you to meet my cousins: Chibali and Kasim."