Chapter 9

It's been days since the attack, and Kunto is still lost in the jungle, alone, and completely unsure of how to get home. She doesn't even know what direction home is; the jungle has her so turned around, she can't tell if she's going straight or in circles. Her situation isn't all bad, though, as there is plenty of ground cover for camouflage and a myriad of food options to sustain her appetite. However, clean, fresh water is harder to come by, forcing Kunto to strictly manage her drinking and bathing habits. The hot, congested air does not make her situation any better, either.

Ugh, I'm so tired! I want a proper good night's sleep! I want to be able to cool off once in a while and actually breathe! I want to take a bath, I want to eat loads of food, I want mom and dad and the guys and Mosi . . . hell, I'll even take Berko right now! I just want this all to be over! I want to go home.

After about an hour of nothing but walking and panting, Kunto could feel a headache coming on. She decided to stop and take a quick break, only for her to realize how tired she actually was. Her legs felt rooted to the ground, and she could barely keep the rest of herself together in general. She needed to rest, and so, chose a dark, shady area that she hoped would conceal her from predators. Once Kunto was sure that she was safe, she curled into a ball of scales, closed her eyes, and fell asleep.

***

Most of the day had passed by the time Kunto awoke from her slumber and went back on her way. She was hungry and thirsty, but for once, much to her surprise, she wasn't as hot or weighed down by humidity as before. She didn't pay much attention to it at first, as she was too relieved to finally be cooling off, but once she did, she couldn't believe it.

My scales are cooling off, it's easier to breathe. I'm in a better mood! Wait, does this mean what I think it means? Am I . . . is it . . . am I feeling the wind? Like, the actual wind, blowing in through the trees? But, if fresh air got through, like, actual fresh, open air, then that must mean . . .

Kunto took a minute to scour the area, determined to pinpoint exactly which direction the wind was coming from. It didn't take her long to notice that the trees in the distance in front of her looked to be spaced further apart than the ones that Kunto has left behind, and if she remembered correctly, that meant she was nearing the edge of the jungle.

Thank the stars! Kunto thought as a pained yet relieved laugh escaped her whilst she took off.

Soon, the tree canopy began to open up more, which allowed more sunlight to pass through, thus providing the groundcover with enough sustenance for bright greenery and beautiful flowers. And beyond such gorgeous vegetation, Kunto stared wide-eyed at something even more impressive: a sparkling pool of fresh-looking water. The only spot of ground water she's seen since home, as well as the cleanest.

Thank the blessed stars! This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my entire life! That may be an exaggeration, but I don't care! I'm thirsty, and I desperately need a bath! Oh, I'd hate to dirty the water. I mean, it looks so perfect, but I'm tired of feeling dirty. My scales need to be cleaned now.

Without checking the area for other animals, Kunto sprinted as fast as her little legs could carry her down and over to the pool of water, eager to dive in and rehydrate herself.