Chapter 16

Days have come and gone, and while Kunto and Zane had managed to find some food to fill themselves, the evening Zane returned with no food and refused to give Kunto an explanation as to why that was, is a still lingering memory. Everyday, Kunto keeps pushing Zane to give her answers, and every single time, he dodges her questions. It frustrates Kunto to no avail, but she also knows that she can't do a thing about it.

Wait until I get bigger, then I'll be able to make them all talk. Nobody will have as easy a time lying to me then! Kunto thought from her place on Zane's back. It made travelling a whole lot easier for both if Zane just carried Kunto instead of having her walk.

Suddenly, Zane came to a standstill. At first, Kunto thought that he caught more prey scent . . . until he cursed.

"Crap."

"What?" Kunto asked.

"We have to get out of here, now."

"What? Why?"

"Wildfire."

"Wait, what? I thought fires didn't exist in jungles?"

"Not in the deeper parts, but they can certainly start out on the edges and make their way inward, which, unfortunately for us, is where we happen to be now! Of course, I have never ever heard of a fire destroying an entire jungle before. Honestly, I don't think anyone has. None that I've talked to, anyway."

"So you're saying that the deeper we go the safer we'll be?"

"That's the plan."

"And we're still heading back to my home, right?"

"We should be, unless you screwed up the directions."

"I did not!"

"Alright, then. Let's hope you're right."

I hope I'm right, too.

***

The sudden jolt of Zane skidding to a halt shocked Kunto, causing her to lose her balance and nearly fall off his back.

"I would ask if you're still back there, but . . ." Zane said.

"No, no, I'm still here," Kunto spoke up. "You can't get rid of me that easily."

Zane laughed, and Kunto cracked a smile.

"So, are we good now?" Kunto asked.

"Not sure," Zane replied with a level of uncertainty. "We'll wait here for a bit. Just let me catch my breath, and . . ."

Zane stopped speaking. Kunto saw his ears twitch, then felt his muscles contort and shift as he moved. He raised his head and sniffed the air, then turned back to face the way they came.

"By the stars," Zane gasped.

"What?" Kunto dreaded.

"It's that damned fire again."

"I thought you said it wasn't possible for a fire to make it this far?"

"I said I never heard of it before. Doesn't mean it isn't impossible!"

"Well, clearly, it's possible."

"No kidding!"

***

Every time Zane stopped to rest his aching muscles and catch his breath, the fire would follow not far behind them. Kunto found it a little strange how they managed to outpace the fire when Zane was so exhausted from pushing himself past his limits. She eventually puts the former out of her mind in order to focus on the latter.

The next time Zane stops to take one of his breaks, Kunto turns to look behind them, and, much to her disbelief, spots the flames peaking through the shadows at least ten lines back.

"Gah! What's it take to get away from that stupid fire?" Kunto questioned aloud.

"You've . . . got to be . . . kidding me!" Zane exclaimed in-between breaths.

"Nope, but with the way you've been running, we should be getting closer to home. Maybe we could rest there?"

"I pray to the stars you're right, because if not . . ."

"Less talking, more running, and keep track of your breathing while you're at it."

"Heh. Thanks for the tip."

***

Zane ran,

And ran,

And ran,

And he kept running, even after he broke through the tree line. He wanted to stop, but he couldn't. He could hear Kunto yelling from his back to slow down, that he doesn't have to keep running anymore. Zane didn't listen until a lone acacia tree came into sight.

I guess I can stop now, Zane thought as he slowed down to a lumbering trot. He was heaving, completely out of breath, as well as extremely exhausted. At least we're safe, for now.

The second Zane reached the tree, he let his entire body give out and collapse to the ground. He heard a light 'thump' and opened his already closed eyes to see Kunto struggling to her feet.

"Next time, warn me before you let your body go limp like that again," Kunto growled.

"Why're you complaining?" Zane teased. "You're not the one who had to run through an entire jungle whilst making sure both of our flanks weren't on fire."

"Fair point, but I didn't exactly want to jump off your back there, either."

"At least you didn't fall off."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

Zane smirked. Less than a minute later, Kunto just shook her head and laughed. She walked over to Zane and nestled down beside him. Both animals fell asleep immediately.