Chapter 7

"Makuu?"

The crocodile leader opened his eyes and saw Masika standing in front of him.

"Yes, Masika, what is it?" Makuu asked.

"I was just wondering if you're doing alright. You haven't been acting like yourself for days now."

Makuu sighed, "As I've already told everyone else, I don't want to talk about him."

Masika was about to reply to her mate, but she didn't get the chance to.

"Makuu! Makuu, help!" A voice cried out.

It was Zula, approaching fast.

"Zula, what's wrong?" Makuu asked, rising to his feet as the frantic, young, crocodile mother skidded to a halt in front of him and Masika.

"It's Kiburi...and Kunto...I can't find them!" Zula answered in-between breaths. "I...I just woke up and they weren't there. I assumed that Kiburi and Kunto were talking with each other away from the float because they got into an argument yesterday and...well...you know how those two are. So I decided to wait a while, but when they didn't come back, I went looking for them. And...and...I'm just so worried. What if something bad happened? I know that Kiburi can take care of himself, but how come he's not back yet? And Kunto is barely a yearling! She can't be out on her own! She shouldn't be! And...and what if she wandered off and got stuck somewhere? What if..."

"Zula, calm down. Even if they are in danger, we'll find them," Masika consoled. "They can't have possibly gone too far if it's just been one night."

"Y...yeah, I guess so," Zula stuttered.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'll look and ask around for ya," Makuu offered.

"You will?" Zula asked, to which Makuu nodded. To which, Zula breathed a sigh of relief.

However, Makuu knew that Zula's newfound relief would not last, if her mate and daughter weren't found soon. Leaving Zula in Masika's care, Makuu rushed off in search of Kiburi and Kunto, or to at least see if anyone else had seen them.

***

Makuu spent the rest of the day searching for Kiburi and Kunto, as well as asking other animals if they have seen the missing crocodiles. Unfortunately, neither Makuu nor anyone else had found or seen them.

Not wanting to give up, but also too tired to continue looking, Makuu decided to take a break and cool off in a jungle spring. While he relaxed, he thought about what could have possibly happened.

The last time anyone saw Kiburi or Kunto - aside from their float, obviously - was days ago, when . . . when Kellan returned. Of course. But if it was Kellan, - which I'm positively sure it is - there is no way he could have possibly abducted them in their own territory without the rest of the float noticing! Unless . . . could he have ambushed them while they were away from the float? Well, they would have had to have been very far away to avoid notice, but where? The Outlands? I mean, Kiburi wouldn't dare go back there unless he absolutely had to, but Kunto...

"Going over stuff in your head?"

Makuu, snapped out of his thoughts, noticed Masika floating in the water next to him.

"Masika, what are you doing here? Where's Zula?" Makuu asked, looking for Kiburi's mate.

"Well, I thought I would escort her back to the wetlands so that the boys could keep her company while we search for Kiburi and Kunto," Masika explained. "She's pretty shaken, so I thought it would be better for her if she was around familiar faces. Well, more familiar than ours, anyway."