Christmas Special

Every corner of the tower was decorated with Christmas spirit. The smell of cookies wafted throughout the whole compound. Gingerbread houses were frosted and adorned with chocolate squares and gumdrops.

Except Sam and Bucky's. We don't talk about Sam and Bucky's gingerbread house. Not even the residents talk about it.

Tony's Christmas gala was in full swing. Everyone was dancing and partying. The drinks kept flowing and the snacks never stopped.

You watched your crush, Steve, practically the whole night. You were more focused on him than anything else that night, excited to give him your gift.

But you knew it was unlikely that Steve would ever go out with you, he already had his eye on someone else. And it hurt even more when he came to you for advice.

"Hey, Y/n?" Steve smiled, walking over to you. You smiled brightly in return. "I can tell you anything, right?"

"Of course, I'm always here," You nodded. Butterflies forming in your stomach.

"Great, I need some help asking Katelyn out. Have any tips?" Someone must've sprayed pesticides. Every single butterfly dropped dead.

"Uh, yeah! Yeah, uh girls just like it when you're honest, so be yourself?" You forced a grin.

"You sure? I won't like... intimidate her, will I?"

"No, you're a respectful, honest, handsome- err uhm an overall great person. I'm sure she'll love you."

"Thanks, Y/n! You're such a great friend!"

"Mhmm, no problemo.." You mumbled as he patted your shoulder before running off.

You get it, he wasn't in love with you but did he really need to say it so loudly?

"Hey," Natasha rested her hand on your shoulder softly. "Are you-"

"Peachy! You know what? I'll go grab my Santa hat and really liven up the place!" You laughed, running a hand through your hair.

"Y/n.." Natasha tried to stop you but you twisted out of her grasp and ran for the back.

You didn't stop running until you reached a small secluded spot in the hallways. An old bench was pressed against the wall and you sat down with a whimper.

You knew this would happen. Natasha always told you to be careful around him. Not that he was mean but he just never seemed to stick with someone, always hung up on Peggy.

Stupid Peggy. Stupid Steve. The only thing that pierced your heart was an arrow, not from cupid. From that one time Hawkeye missed, landing in the friend-zone.

You buried you head into your hands, letting out small sobs. You didn't want to cry on Christmas, no one did. You tried to kept it quiet so no one would see you like this.

But of course someone just had to be around.

You stopped crying, keeping it down to a sniffle as best you could, hoping they wouldn't notice you. You quickly wiped at your eyes as heavy footsteps approached. They stopped and for a moment you thought whoever left.

"Who did this to you?" You looked up, startled. Loki stood solemnly in front of you. For how calm he seemed, there was a hateful fire buring behind his eyes. "Where is he?"

"What? Oh, no I'm fine... it's fine," You lied. He looked around, his dagger coming out of no where. "Loki, it's nothing."

You let out another soft sob. You placed your head back into your hands, trying to shrink away from reality.