Chapter 20

Jenny sat in a big rocking chair, at least big to her. She didn't even remotely fill out the seat. In front of her, she could see the slope of the mountain and the last bit of snow that was melting away. She shivered in the cold, but a blanket was quickly placed over her shoulders and wrapped around her.

"If you're going to be out in the cold, at least bring a blanket," her mom said to her, a woman with big white curls. She handed Jenny a mug that her hands barely fit around, she smiled at the warmth. And by the smell of it, it was hot tea and smelled like roses, her favorite. Her mom had her own blanket thrown around her shoulders and took a seat at the chair on the other side of their door and began to hum.

The image slowly faded away as Jenny began to wake up. It was slow and gentle, like the way words in sand wash away with waves. Very sleepily, she rolled over, reaching for her mate. The spot that Dustin usually sleeps in was empty and she sighed. The sun was shining through the blinds of the windows and she could hear the birds chirping outside. She could really get used to this.

Jenny sat up when she felt an irritation building in the back of her mind. It wasn't full blown anger, but just the feeling of being annoyed. Per the fact that she was completely relaxed in Dustin's, well hers as well, bed, she figured it was Dustin's emotions she was feeling. She pulled back the blanket on the bed and moved out of it, the AC must have been on because it was freezing in the room.

Quickly, she moved to her bag and pulled out a thick pair of socks and tugged a throw blanket from the bed, wrapping it around her. She headed for the door when she heard her mates voice drift through the house, pressure in her head grew slightly. Jenny opened the door quietly and poked her head out.

"I just don't think it's a good idea," he paused. "Because it's a little early don't you think? I haven't even marked her yet." Another pause, then his voice deepened. "I don't want to hear it Liz, that isn't any of your business." Jenny took a step out of the room and the floor creaked. "I'll think on it," which sounded like the ending of the phone call, then footsteps toward the stairs. That was her cue.

She headed toward Dustin, rubbing her eyes sleepily. "Good morning, sleepy head," he enveloped her in his arms. He was warm. "I thought you'd be out for a little longer," he kissed her head and breathed in the scent of her hair. She wrapped her arms around his mid-section, crumbling his white t-shirt in her hands.

"I felt your irritation, what's going on?" she spoke into his chest.

"Oh, it's nothing for you to worry about," he mumbled into her hair.

"You're lying, but okay," she smiled and pulled away from him.

"I- I just don't want you to freak out," Dustin said, moving past her to the door of their bedroom.

"Okay, I won't freak out," she followed him. He shot her a look and then sighed, he began to make the bed.

"My parents want to present you to the pack, but I told them no." She was taken aback. Present to the pack?

"What all does the presenting entail? Is it just like a group announcement or is there some ritual involved?" He tilted his head at her in confusion.

"Well, we would throw a party and invite anyone in the pack that would like to come and then just announce you. Basically say who you are and people would want to meet you. From what Mom says, it can be pretty overwhelming," he explained. She nodded her head and thought on it a moment. Getting to know other pack members wouldn't be a bad thing, it might even make her feel more at home.