Chapter 8

"They didn't take it too well," Dustin said. He and Jenny were sitting in her living room on the couch, Dustin was filling her in on how the meeting with the other Alphas went the day before. He and James announced not only that the girls were being kidnapped, but that Jenny and Winnie were connected to the others.

"I can imagine," Jenny said.

"The biggest concern is that somehow wolves are not only getting into territories undetected, but they are also leaving behind no scent."

"I was thinking about that. If they used urine or pine needles, or some other plant, we wouldn't smell them outside, but that doesn't help us with how they left no scent inside," Jenny said.

"Someone brought that up."

"Did anyone else have any ideas?" Jenny asked.

"Magic." Jenny almost laughed.

"There's no such thing as magic," the words rolled off of Jenny's tongue. She knew that whatever was inside of her certainly wasn't normal, but actual magic?

"What do you think we are if not made up of magic?"

"I don't know, but I find it hard to believe that actual magic exists. Casting spells? I mean come on," Jenny gave Dustin a look.

"I don't think it's that far of a stretch, we exist so why can't witches?"

"Oh we're talking witches now? What's next? Mermaids?"

"Why are you so against the idea?" Dustin asked and Jenny knew why. She knew that it couldn't possibly be that someone can use magic to hide their scent and steal little girls because if they could, then that means that someone could have possibly use a spell to locate her. Someone could have found her. Someone could have saved her from everything.

"No I just don't think it's real," Jenny said.

"Well I do," Dustin moved closer to her. "Because I think the connection we feel," he traced his finger on her knee, making tiny explosions erupt, "and the things we can do are nothing short of magic." He had a point, but Jenny refused. It was easier to live in denial.

"Then we will have to agree to disagree." Jenny said.

"I guess we will," he smiled a brilliant smile at her. "Are you going to be at the bonfire tomorrow night?" Jenny smiled back, they had just had one, but she had missed her favorite part.

"Yes I will be. I'm excited for s'mores," Jenny said as she reached down to hold Dustin's hand in hers.

"S'mores are pretty good." The audacity.

"Pretty good? They're amazing."

"Well that depends on how you like the marshmallow. Are you a lightly toasted girl or set it on fire?"

"Here's the thing, the best way is to just heat up the marshmallow a little bit, just make it warm. People just don't see the glory of it," Jenny said. Dustin starred at her, dumbfounded.

"At that point why even put it in the fire? Just use a raw marshmallow."

"No I like it warm." Jenny defended. Dustin just shook his head. Jenny burst out laughing and Dustin followed. Silence followed the laughter, Jenny's thoughts looped back to the earlier conversation. "Was anything else said at the meeting?" Dustin sighed and waited a moment to answer Jenny.