Chapter 16

She was still confused. "And?"

"And she's a bitch," Cherry whispered to her.

"Cherry," Dustin growled out, lowly. Cherry just narrowed her eyes at him.

"I'm here," Liz announced as she entered the house, slamming the door behind her. The woman waltzed in, dumping her purse on the couch and kicking her shoes off. She had straight black hair that fell to her shoulders. She turned to look at the group, her eyes falling on Jenny.

"You must be Jenny," she said, Jenny could hear a bit of distaste in her tone, but figured she must be imagining things.

"Yes, and you must be Liz. It's very nice to meet you," Jenny said, smiling at her.

"Likewise," Liz said and walked off toward the kitchen.

"Told you," Cherry whispered to her.

"I'm sure she is just stressed and had a bad day. Who's her mate?" Jenny asked.

"His name is Declan and he is an... interesting wolf," Logan said. Her mates' parents and sister walked from the kitchen to the dining table carrying plates of food. They set down sandwiches, cucumbers, tomatoes, French fries, basically a whole spread. It looked delicious.

"All right everyone, take hands," Joy said, sitting down and reaching for Dustin and Hunters hands. Everyone around the table bowed their head and joined hands. Jenny scrunched her eyebrows and reached hers out, bowing her head as well. Her family didn't do this. "Moon goddess, we thank you for blessing us with food to nourish our bodies, safety within our lands, and our newest addition to the family. We are forever grateful for your love and gifts. Amen." Everyone at the table said 'amen' except for Jenny. They, then, dug in.

Just like at home, it was a whirl of hands reaching for different foods, Dustin and his mother talking softly to one another, and light chatter moving around the table. Liz spoke from her end down to Jenny. "So Jenny, are you not religious?" This took her by surprise.

"No I am not," she said, putting a sandwich on her plate. Jenny felt a spike of adrenaline. She knew this conversation could bring up debate and conflict and that was the last thing she wanted. She definitely had her times of strong will and sarcasm, especially when it came to her brothers, but she didn't like confrontation. Raised voices made her cower back, not entirely by choice, and a ring would overtake her ears. She wouldn't be able to focus and could quickly descend into a panic attack. And with her family not being there? Being all alone? It wasn't a good time.

"To the moon goddess, or any god? Now don't tell me you believe in that silly human deity," Liz said, laughing to herself.

Jenny hesitated. "I don't believe in any god," she said, not sounding too confident. She worked to keep her mind calm and steady. She was fine, it's her trauma affecting her and she is not controlled by her past.

"Then where do you think we go when we die?"

"Now really isn't the time for this conversation," Hunter said to Liz, giving her the same look that Jenny's own father often gave Tony and Eric. Jenny refrained from telling them that she thought about the topic often when she was in John's possession. She came to the conclusion that she hoped there was nothing. Just quiet, empty darkness. No pain, no happiness, no nothing. Hopefully, though, it would be warm. Maybe she would get to have a blanket or two in this nothingness.

"Well, we are a very religious family here in Louisiana," Liz continued, blatantly ignoring her father.

"Not all of us. We believe and are raising our child to as well, but we aren't insane about it. Some people take it a little too seriously if you ask me," Cherry chimed in with a subtle hint and a wink. She was growing on her. Jenny could see them definitely being friends.