Chapter 12

The one first to speak was her mate, "wait, who's John?"

"Her kidnapper," Stark said. Jenny was already tired and feeling fragile, and though she normally loved Starks bluntness, tonight just wasn't the night for it. This was all very big news for Dustin and she didn't want to overwhelm him.

"Oh," Dustin said, Jenny could tell he was battling with himself. This isn't how she wanted him to find out. Well, she didn't really know how she wanted him to find out, but this wasn't it.

"Did he give you any information about where John might be?" her father asked, but Jenny just shook her head.

"Okay, well it has been a long night. We all need to get some sleep, including you Dustin," her mother said.

"But we need to talk about all of this," Eric said.

"Yes we do, but we can do it in the morning once everyone is more awake and has time to sleep on it all," Adella spoke it a very soft tone.

"She's right. We have a big day tomorrow, some of the other Alphas are talking of ending the gala early. Depending on what is decided is what we will have to work with in the morning. Dustin, I assumed you would want to be the one to give the news of Winnie to your father, so I have not called him yet," her father said.

"I'll call him tonight," Dustin said nodding.

"Then we all need to go to bed," her mother said again, nudging her son's towards the stairs with her please-don't-argue face on. They all turned to leave, but Jenny followed Dustin out on the back porch. She reached out and grabbed his arm, making him stop and turn to look at her. He looked tired, his eyes almost sad.

"Can we talk tomorrow? I know this is a lot for you to take in, but I'd like to explain some things," she said, her heart was hammering. He stayed silent for a moment and then replied, gently grabbing her had.

"Yeah we can," Dustin said. They stood there for a moment, Jenny tried to soak up all of the tingles in her fingers. "Sleep well tonight," he said finally and kissed her hand. Jenny watched for a second and then went inside. Her father was standing by the island in the kitchen, his arms folded over his chest.

"He's not taking it too well is he?" James said.

"I don't think so, but he agreed to talk to me tomorrow about things," she said.

"Good. Being a mate isn't always easy. Yes, it is true love and yes you are fated to be with one another and the bond helps with that. But there will be times, when you have to choose to love and to support them. Sometimes the easiest thing to do will be to walk away, that choosing to stand by your mate is harder than you want it to be," her father said. "Right now, he's choosing to listen and be open, which isn't easy. Tomorrow you should tell him the whole truth, do not take his willingness for granted." Jenny nodded and said her goodnights to her parents, then headed for her room.

Jenny wanted to sleep, desperately. When she had first gotten to her room all she could think about was how badly she wanted to be in her bed and asleep, but sleep just wouldn't come. She tossed and turned restlessly. John was alive, he was out there somewhere and he had finally found her.

The logical part of her brain knew that she would never have to go back that horrible house in the woods. Never again will she ever be chained up outside in the cold or huddled under her cot in fear. Those men that touched her, passed her around, and took so much of her would not get the chance to again. But there was a tiny part of her, one that was unbearably loud, that was scared.