Chapter 9

Warning - graphic content ahead. 

            "Rogues? How many of them?" Jenny asked, fear sprouting through her body. Rogues, being wolves without a pack, were dangerous and didn't believe in the rule and order that packs required.

"We don't know yet; they're hiding their scent somehow. You need to go to the basement at the house, it's hidden and- "

"No I can help, I can protect myself," Jenny said.

"You're going. I don't have time to argue."

"And I don't take orders from you," Jenny stepped closer to him, looking up into his eyes, refusing to back down.

"Jenny," Dustin stepped up next to her. "You need to go back to your house, I'll come get you when it's over." Dustin's voice was low and final. Jenny felt a tug in her to listen to him, but she ignored it. She knew his words were meant to comfort her, to make her feel protected, but they didn't. There was a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. She knew, though, that they weren't going to back down, anger flared in her. She turned to look at her mate.

"We aren't done talking about this," she tried to lace as much venom in her words as she could. This is part of the reason she never wanted a mate, this would be the last time he told her what to do.

"I know, but I need to know you're safe," He took her hand and kissed it. "Now go." Stark pulled on her arm and they broke off into a run, away from the bonfire. It was then she noticed that they were the last wolves there. How had she missed everyone dispersing?

"Where's everyone else?" Jenny asked, they were making fast tracks to the house, but they were still a couple minutes away if they were to run at full speed. It wasn't as easy to run in the night as it was in the day light. If she was a wolf she would be able to see better, but they needed a way to communicate better, so they stayed in their human forms. The shadows that the moon casted through the forest made her feel paranoid.

"Hiding and waiting. We can't track them so we don't know where they are or how many there are," Stark said. Jenny could tell by the way Stark held his body that he was on high alert. The wolves could be anywhere, including right on them.

"Then how do we even know they're here?"

"They attacked one of the alphas on their way back from the bonfire." Oh hell. As they ran Jenny felt confined in her jeans, she normally wore dresses which enabled her to shift easier and feel the earth around her. Tonight her clothes felt too tight, more restraining than they had earlier.

"Are they okay?" Right as the words came out of her mouth, they heard the snapping of a noise behind them. Both Jenny and Stark stopped in their tracks, glancing at each other. They both slightly tilted their heads upward attempting to catch the scent of whatever was near them, but all she got was the normal scent of the trees and wildlife that had passed through.

She glanced back over to Stark, but he was gone. Being a trained guard, Stark had learned how to move almost silently and undetected. Jenny felt the blood leave her face as she slowly turned toward the sound. Stark wouldn't just leave her, he had to have a plan.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the famous little Jenny," a man said as he stepped from behind a tree. The man was disgusting looking, his teeth yellow and brown hair tussled. He had to be roughly in his forties and he was filthy. Jenny couldn't help but be revolted by the man in front of her, but somehow he knew her.

"You know who I am?" Her voice came out shaky and she tried to take a calming breath. Where was Stark?

"Of course I do, Johnny boy just won't shut up about you." Jenny froze. He's alive. The man in front of her gave her a wicked smile, he was obviously enjoying the look of horror that Jenny knew was on her face. He used this pause to his advantage. "I've been sent to give you a message," the man took slow steps forward, but Jenny took a few back, matching his movements. He was like a predator stalking his pray. She waited for him to continue. "Find the girl, you have ten minutes." He was cut off by a pair of hands wrapping around his face. The hands twisted quickly and violently and then the man laid on the ground. Dead.