Chapter 10 - Dustin's POV

Dustin watched his mate run away from him and into the woods with Stark. Her white hair was bouncing and blowing in the wind. He knew she was mad, she had every right to be. The bond he and Jenny had was still new and growing slowly, but he could feel the tinge of anger that ran through her when he told her to go. But if he was going to be able to focus on helping the pack, he couldn't be thinking about his mate in trouble.

"She's going to be majorly pissed at you," Logan said.

"Yeah, I know," Dustin replied. They turned toward the opposite direction his mate was going; he could hear in the distance a woman screaming.

"Wait what about the fire?" Logan said, he was right. They couldn't leave the large bonfire unattended, they had to put it out. Dustin looked around trying to find the best plan of action. He spotted a regular hose on the side of the pack house. It was a good distance away, but it looked like there was a lot of it.

"Do you think the hose will extend all the way over here?" Dustin said. He wasn't entirely sure.

"It's going to have to, how else would they put the fires out?"

"We'll try it," the two jumped into action, running toward the pack house. By the amount of times the hose was wrapped around the wheel, Dustin felt confident that it would reach the fire.

He grabbed the head of the hose and ran towards the fire that extended over his head. Logan stayed back in at the wheel to make sure that the hose didn't catch on anything. When he was close enough, Dustin turned and nodded at Logan to start the water and waited for the water to come out of the nozzle. He aimed low at the base. It felt like forever until the fire finally went out.

There was another scream from across the yard and somewhere in the woods. With a glance at one another, Logan and Dustin took off to hopefully help whoever they could. They ran at full speed and soon were deep into the forest. It hit him, then, how creepy the woods really were. It was an eerie silence that wafted through the woods. The way the shadows fell around them and the gut feeling he was being watched made his skin crawl.

"They're out here somewhere," Logan said, slowly spinning. Then there was quick movement and they reacted on instinct. Dustin shifted and fell to the ground, ducking just in time to dodge a rogue coming for his throat. He spun and looked his attacker in the face. The wolf had been a dirty shade of blond, with patches of hair missing. It reminded him of the dogs that people would rescue after severe neglect. A growl ripped from his opponent's throat and he charged at Dustin.

Dustin didn't have to look to know his Beta had already shifted, he just knew. The same way he knew that he would go for the throat while Logan went for the stomach. Dustin growled and threw his body forward, his eyes on rogue's throat. When they collided, Dustin pushed up, forcing the rogue to go on his hind legs, leaving his belly unguarded. The two snapped their jaws at each other and then he heard the wolf yelp and then go limp. The body fell to the side and twitched until it stopped moving all together. His stomach was torn open, the organs spilling out.

Then the scent hit him. Dustin caught the real scent of the wolf and it was revolting. Most rogues lost their normal scents when they stopped being around packs. This one smelled like it had lived in a garbage, Dustin had almost expected to see flees and flies on him. He smelled rotten. They turned and continued into the woods.

As they started to go further into the woods, a spike of fear ran through Dustin. It wasn't his own, Dustin wasn't actually scared right now. It had to be Jenny's. So was a sense of dread that resonated in the pit of his stomach. Something was clearly wrong, he stopped in his tracks and turned to look at his Beta. He gave him a look, Logan nodded, and Dustin took off toward the direction they came.