17: ᴋɪʟʟ ʟᴀ ᴋɪʟʟ

Important Authors Note at the end!

Later that same day

My emotions are all over the place as I twirl an object in my hands.

Like a storm brewing in my mind, they ping pong from one end to the other.

This wasn't supposed to happen. I put certain things in place to assure that something like this would never happen. And yet, somehow it did anyway.

I force myself to detach from the situation so I won't fuck up what I'm trying to do. Emotions will cloud my judgment, make me sloppy, and that could get me and everyone else killed.

I have to be smart about the next steps I take.

My phone rings, and I enclose the object in my hand before answering.

"Speak." My voice is hard, cold. It has to be.

"What happened?"

Frustration prickles across my forehead and turns into a dull ache.

"She saw me with Wynter."

"Oh shit. How did that go?"

"How the fuck do you think it went, Niall?" I can't stop myself from snapping, briefly showing my true feelings behind the cold exterior.

Niall sighs on the other line, sounding defeated. I can't bring myself to feel even an ounce of sympathy for him.

"I knew you were going to be in the area today, so I tried to keep her at her house. I really did try, Harry. She has been suspicious of me lately, and she knows I know something."

I smile bleakly. Of course she knows something and is suspicious, that doesn't surprise me.

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore. I'll call you later." I hang up without giving him a chance to respond.

Searching through my phone, I find the picture I want to see. At the same time, I open my hand and stare at what lies in my palm.

An ultrasound on my phone and my wedding ring in my hand.

I knew that playing with fire was going to cost... I just wish I had known how much it was going to burn.

▪︎▪︎▪︎