18: ᴡʜɪʀʟᴡɪɴᴅ

I wake up feeling numb

Not physically, because I can feel the pain in my forearm from ripping out my IV last night. No, the numbness I feel is emotionally. As I regain consciousness, I think of everything that happened. Everything that I did.

The rage, it still burns within me but it feels... smothered. Tapered down so that I can still feel it, but just barley.

Surveying my room, I'm surprised to see Liam asleep on the couch next to the window. Or, I would be surprised if I didn't feel so... blank.

This lack of emotion is not normal, and I instantly know that I was given something. Some kind of medication to keep me docile.

I hate it.

Ignoring Liam, I press the red nurse button three times and wait.

Quick footsteps approach before my door is opened and I'm greeted by Samira, with a smile.

"You're awake."

I ignore her smile. "What did you give me?"

Nurse Samira fully enters the room and begins to check my vitals. As she does all of this, I just watch her and wait for an answer.

"You were given a sedative. It will wear off soon, now that you're awake."

Dull irritation prickles at the back of my mind, but it's easy to ignore. Samira puts down my clipboard and looks at me seriously.

"Do you remember what happened, Ellie?"

The rage flickers, like a dying ember.

"I remember everything."

Her facial expression doesn't change at my answer.

"Who was that man, Ellie?"

I notice Liam stirring awake, so I say my answer loud and clear so that he can hear it as well. I want to see his reaction.

"My husband."

Samira's eyes widen, and Liam pops up on the couch, mirroring the nurse's shocked expression.

I talk before either of them have a chance to say anything. "He is not allowed to see me or my baby girl, okay?"

Samira looks as if she's a fish gasping for air, and I wonder just how bad the attack looked.

"Yes, security did escort him off of the premises, but Ellie, hon, if he is the biological father he does have rights..." My brain tunes out her voice, clawing against the numbness to react in the way that I feel. Frustrated is the thing that I feel in this moment. Frustrated that Samira is playing devil's advocate. Frustrated that I can't express my emotions like I truly want to.

I can't wait for this fucking medicine to wear off.

"How is she doing today?" I cut off whatever Samira is saying, not wanting to hear it any longer. I'd rather hear about my sweet baby. Samira's serious face turns into a genuine smile at my inquiry.