S2, Chapter 8: Why?

After departing from the mall and his short meeting with Yukino, Y/N was walking home to his house. He pondered what that hug was.

Y/N: (thoughts) Was it affection? Or was it just friendly? We're just friends, right? Nothing more?

"You don't need to force yourself. You never had to."

Y/N: (thoughts) Forcing myself? Have I been forcing myself to attend the club? Everything is just do confusing.

Just as he was going to continue walking, a car horn was heard. Turning his head, he sees it's his brother in Setsuna's Toyota 86, considering she was still sick.

Itsuki gestures him to get inside the car, which Y/N does so.

The car ride was silent for a while. Not until Itsuki asked him something.

Itsuki: Can we make a pit stop?

Y/N: Sure, I don't really care.

Itsuki: (chuckles) That's your answer to everything, huh?

Taking a detour, they drive to what seems to be a bridge. Parking to the side, the two get out and stand by the stone railing, gazing out into the ocean. The winter chill was around them.

Itsuki: ...How man years has it been since we've left home?

Y/N: ...Who knows? It's been so long that I stopped caring for that bastard.

Itsuki: Yeah...but...that doesn't change the fact that he helped make us.

Y/N: Yeah...that's what sucks the most.

The green-eyed boy continued to stare out into the ocean until Itsuki had wrapped him into a side hug.

Itsuki: You've been working hard lately. For a lot of different people's sakes.

Y/N: Have I?

Itsuki: Yeah. The only time you really showed this was when every time you were with Yukino-chan. You two were two peas in a pod back then.

Y/N: I suppose.

Itsuki: Those were the good ol' days.

Y/N: Yeah...

Itsuki: ...Oh, yeah. Shizuka told me you and Hikigaya were helping the student council with the Christmas event, right?

Y/N: Yeah?

Itsuki: She told this hint to Hikigaya and asked me to tell you. (clears throat) "When you think, don't pinpoint the wrong thing to think about." That's all.

Y/N: That's it?

Itsuki: Not entirely. Why are you helping the student council?

Y/N: Well, it's the Service Club's--

Itsuki: Wrong. You and Hikigaya are helping her individually, not as the Service Club. Try thinking about it. For the Service Club's sake, or in other words, for Yukino-chan's sake.

Y/N only stared at his older brother, not sure of what to say. Itsuki then smiles and ruffles Y/N's hair, turning around and heads to the car.

Itsuki: Well. we better get home. It's late as it is and you know how Setsuna is on curfew hours. Especially yours.

Y/N: (sigh) Yeah, yeah. (thoughts) For Yukinoshita's sake, huh?

Timeskip

That night, Y/N laid on his bed. He was most likely thinking the same thing as Hachiman, trying to figure out how to turn their situation around. He knew they couldn't do it alone.