S2, Chapter 11: Yumiko's Dilemma, Rumors Abound

It was another day in Sobu High, Y/N was staring at the paper on his desk. Shizuka had handed out a paper labled "Future Plans Survey."

He could overhear the conversation of Hayato's clique.

Tobe: Which course are you guys going for?

Yui: Hina and I are probably going into liberal arts. Yumiko's still thinking about it.

Tobe: Really? Maybe I'll go with liberal arts, too...

Yumiko: (texting on phone) What about you, Hayato?

Hayato: I've kinda decided, but I'll give it some more thought.

Yumiko: Hmm...

Tobe: Which do you think I should do, Hayato-kun?

Hayato: It's your own life. You need to give it some serious thought, or you'll regret it.

Tobe: Aww...

Ooka: By the way, Hayato-kun, is it true you're going out with Yukinoshita-san?

This causes everyone to perk up, especially Y/N and Yumiko. The L/N boy turns his head slightly as he begins to look at Hayama.

Even Hachiman had looked over. Yumiko, didn't like this, causing her to get out of her seat.

Yumiko: What!?

As all the members of Hayato's clique members had closed-eyed smiles, awaiting for a response, Hayato responds in a cold attitude.

Hayato: Who said something irresponsible like that?

Ooka: Uh...it's just a rumor...

While everyone was surprised at his behavior, Y/N only scoffs. He remembered this behavior, but that's when they were much younger. 

Yumiko starts to calm down and slowly sits down in her seat.

End of class

Class had ended and Y/N was walking through the halls, making his way to the Service Club room. On the way, he encountered Yumiko walking the opposite way of him. Two girls were by a window.

Girl 1: Did you hear about Hayama-kun? Someone saw them together over winter break!

Y/N: (thoughts) Winter break? Ah, that New Year's dinner.

Girl 2: Yeah, it seems like the real deal, doesn't it?

As Yumiko walked by, the girls by the window noticed Yumiko giving them the stink eye. Y/N sighs as he kept walking. He hated his popularity and he'd imagined Hayato hated his as well. All though, it's been a few months since he's had girls frolicking over him so he felt glad.

He finally made it to the room and sat in his usual spot, at the end with Yukino near him, Yui sitting next to her. Hachiman was at the other end, reading his usual book.

Yui: Yukinon, over here!

Yukino: What's wrong with where I am?

Then they pulled out the present they had bought for her.

Yui: Congratulations! Happy birthday!

Hachiman: Congrats.

Y/N: (monotone) Happy birthday.

Hachiman had bought the computer glasses that he saw over winter break, Y/N buying an exclusive Christmas plushie of a Pan-san, and Yui giving her winter mittens.

Yukino: (stunned) Th-Thanks.

The green-eyed boy rubbed the back of his head, a small blush on his face as Hachiman only stared. Yui kept her bright smile on.