12

They spent days wandering after leaving Zhao's fleet until they finally ended up in an Earth Kingdom resort controlled by the Fire Nation. Iroh was taking full advantage of the services and was currently receiving a massage. Zuko was brooding in the corner as usual as Rezalia sat in a tree, picking at the blossoms in her hand. From inside the structure, it couldn't quite be called a building with how open it was, Iroh groans happily. "Aaahhh... this is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?"

Rezalia snickers and looks over to her friend, who was attempting to hide his sulking under his hat quite unsuccessfully. "Maybe you should get a massage, Z."

No answer. Iroh dons a robe and takes a seat on the floor next to his nephew. "I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?" he asks. Rezalia goes back to her flowers, figuring that iroh was well equipped to handle this one.

"Three years ago today I was banished. I lost it all. (He looks up suddenly.) I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, I want my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless," Zuko replies bitterly. Rezalia frowns.

"I'm sure he doesn't! Why would he banish you if he didn't care?" Iroh says cheerfully. Rezalia nearly falls out the of the tree as Zuko gets up and walks away.

"Dude, what the fuck?" she asks, jumping down to the ground.

"Erg... that came out wrong, didn't it?" Iroh asks sheepishly. Rezalia snorts and hands then man the blossoms before going after Zuko.

She finds him leaning against a tree, hat abandoned at his side. "Heya, Z." Zuko cracks open one eye - his good eye - to look at her. In response to her words, he flicks a finger to the space beside him not occupied by a hat. Rezalia takes the cue and sits down.

"You aren't worthless, Z. I know you probably don't want to hear this right now, but fuck your dad and what he thinks. You should be doing this because it's what you want to do, not because he sent you on some wild goose chase," the purple eyed girl tells Zuko.

The prince bristles. "It's not a wild goose chase! We found the avatar, didn't we?!"

"Yes, but your father had no way of knowing that Aang was alive when he sent you out here! He didn't intend for you to succeed, Zuko!"

"You don't know that," Zuko replies, voice dropping to hide the slight shake of it. "Please go. I don't want to fight with you. Not today."

Rezalia sighs and squeezes Zuko's shoulder as she stands. "Bye, Z."

About an hour later, the three of them were gathered around a table, Zuko having been dragged back in by Iroh who was currently showing the teens the shells he had gathered on the beach. "Look at these magnificent shells! I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come."

Zuko huffs. "We don't need anymore useless things. You forget we have to carry everything ourselves now."

Before Iroh gets a chance to answer, someone else speaks. "Hello, brother. Uncle. Freak."

"Well, hi, brat!" Rezalia chirps in response as Zuko's good eye twitches. Azula gives the girl a nasty look but ignores her for the most part.

"What are you doing here?" Zuko practically snarls. Azula plays with the shell in her hands, tossing it up and down.

Rezalia pulls one leg up onto her chair. "For real, Azula, what do you want?"

"In my country, we exchange a pleasant 'hello' before asking questions." Azula stands and gets in Zuko's face. "Have you become uncivilized so soon, Zuzu?"