22

"How many of those guys do you know?" Toph asks. Rezalia makes a noise of thought as she lays on the rail, both legs dangling down. She sort of missed her boys yelling at her. Now it was only Katara.

Blowing air out of her teeth, she answers. "Most of the higher ranking ones. I was...a friend of the royal family's so I was around the palace more than my own house. I can't tell you how many times I snuck into war meetings. Unfortunately, most of them aren't as fond of me as Karo is. We got lucky there."

"What's the palace like?" Sokka jumps at the chance to ask questions. Rezalia had been closed off to them for the majority of the time they'd spent together. Rezalia takes a moment to answer.

"Cold. Which was always weird to me because there's fire everywhere but it's so cold. Maybe it's the people inside. Hardly any of them were warm people. It was big and most of the rooms were empty which made it colder. Everything was red, black, and gold which looked cool but was kind of intimidating to a five year old."

Katara speaks slowly, as if trying not to scare Rezalia off the topic. "If you aren't nobility how did you end up at the palace?"

"My bending has been strong since I was a little kid," Rezalia answers. "I was put on track to be the head of the army when I was three but that was never what I wanted. When she was five, Azula pulled together a group of girls she considered the best. The other two girls were Mai and Ty Lee and they were both nobility. I never got too close to them, I had...other friends that I like better."

Aang leans forward a bit, still looking a bit upset for being told he has to lay low. "I was wondering, why don't you firebend when you fight? You did in the crystal cave but not ever before that."

"I had a bad experience during training when I was nine. We...I was sparring with my dad when I lost control. My flames are white, they're hotter and harder to control and I lost focus for three seconds and burned down four houses. People got hurt," Rezalia replies, voice hoarse as she sends a small ball of fire twirling around her fingers. "So I try not to use it when fighting."

"I'm sorry," Katara whispers, setting a hand on Rezalia's shoulder. Toph silently throws a punch at the other girl's shoulder, not protesting when Rezalia caught her hand and held it. Aang nods and manages a weak smile toward Rezalia before heading back to his room.

Sokka raises his arms above his head as he stands. "Ugh, I'm starving," he complains. "What do we have left to eat?"

"Not much. Just some dried meat and a loaf of bread," Hakoda replies. Katara makes a face as her father speaks, not bothering to hide it.

"There's a dock there," Rezalia says, lifting one hand to point past Sokka to where she could see a town on the shore.

Toph grins. "Perfect! I can't wait to get off this stupid boat."

"I'll go tell Aang," Katara says as she walks off. Rezalia stands and ties her hair up into a loose bun before pulling on her sandals.

"Won't you be recognized, Lia?" Sokka asks as he dons his helmet.

Rezalia shakes her head. "No. I spent a lot of time in the palace so hardly anyone knows what I look like. I'll be fine as long as I don't firebend."

"What about your eyes?" he asks. "Doesn't your legend involve your eyes?"

Rezalia blows out an amused breath. "Yeah, it does. But like you said, it's a legend. Not everyone knows of the 'Devil of the Fire Nation' and those who do just assume it's a myth to scare people. If anybody in this little town recognizes me on sight it'll be a miracle."