8

Rezalia chews on her lip as her, Zuko, and Lieutenant Jee look over a map. Zuko's eyes flick toward her and he frowns. "Stop that," he mutters. Rezalia huffs but does as told.

"We haven't been able to pick up the Avatar's trail since the storm. But, if we continue heading northeast –" the Lieutenant is cut off when the light is blocked. Everyone looks up to see a huge Fire Navy ship. Zuko scowls at it.

"What do they want?" Rezalia asks, pushing Zuko's hand to indicate that he should close the map. Zuko does so.

"Perhaps a sporting game of Pai Sho!" Iroh says hopefully. Rezalia doubts it but says nothing. They make their way to the deck. The Herald shoves a wanted poster featuring Aang into their faces. Zuko gives him an annoyed look.

"I've got nothing to report to Zhao. Now get off my ship and let us pass," the young prince orders. The Herald puts the poster away.

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area."

"Off my ship!" Zuko thunders. Rezalia places a placating hand on Zuko's back and steps forward.

"I believe you've overstepped your bounds. It would be wise of you to leave," she says, going for a respectful reproach while still telling them to get the fuck off the ship. The Herald and his men scoff but go back to their boat anyway.

"Excellent! I take the pot. But, you're all improving. I'm certain you will win if we play again," Iroh says.

Hours later, Zuko was training well into sunset. Rezalia had taken to making sure he drank water since she was unable to make him stop. Iroh walks out onto the deck. "Is everything okay? It's been almost an hour and you haven't given the men an order."

Zuko pauses for a moment before looking out at the ocean. "I don't care what they do."

"Uh oh," Rezalia mutters.

"Don't give up hope yet. You can still find the Avatar before Zhao," Iroh says encouragingly. Rezalia stands and goes to hand Zuko his water bottle. The prince whirls around to face his uncle, not taking the water.

"How, Uncle? With Zhao's resources it's just a matter of time before he captures the Avatar." Zuko turns back to the ocean. "My honor, my throne, my country, I'm about to lose them all."

"No, you're not," Rezalia says. Zuko's heads snaps in her direction. "We'll get there first. We have less people so me move faster. We've had run ins with Aang before. We know their fighting style and how to take them down faster. On top of that, we have more brain cells between the three of us than the entire Fire Nation Army."

Zuko laughs slightly. "Thanks Zali."

"Anytime, Z."

After a while, Zuko tells his uncle and friend that he needs air and walks off. Rezalia gives him an odd look but is quickly distracted by Iroh announcing music night. Instantly, everyone breaks into two teams. It was customary that for the first couple of hours, the crew and guards would split into teams and have a music battle. It wasn't often that Rezalia participated but this time it seemed that she had no choice.

One of the guards grabs her arm and tugs her to his team. "Well, I guess I'm on your team then."

Teirson grins at her. "Hey, Rezalia! You happen to know how to sing would you?" Rezalia sits down next to him and shrugs.

"I mean, I'm okay."

"Don't let her lie to you, young man. She's a wonderful singer," Iroh interjects. Rezalia rolls her eyes and gestures for one of the guards to hand her the guitar. She strums a few notes and tunes the guitar before strumming again.

"Follow my lead, yeah?" she asks. The men holding the other instruments nod. Rezalia begins to strum the guitar and after a moment the other instruments join in. "If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea, I'll sail the world to find you. If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see, I'll be the light to guide you."

Tierson looks at her in surprise, but she was concentrated on the guitar. "Find out what we're made of, when we are called to our friends in need. You can count on me like one two three, I'll be there. And I know when I need it I can count on you like four three two you'll be there. 'Cause that's what friends are supposed to do, oh yeah. Ooooohhhhhh, oooohhhhhh, ooooh, oooh, yeah, yeah."

After a while, Iroh's team is declared the winner and the teams are disbanded. Everyone gathers in a big circle around the fire and plays a few songs. As they play, Tierson tells Rezalia stories about his homeland and things that happen below deck or while her and Zuko are out. Rezalia was laughing with the young crew member when Zuko finally returns. He looked to have a bruise on his face.

Rezalia frowns and stands. "I'm gonna head to bed." She does, in fact, not go to bed but instead slips into Zuko's room. "How was your walk?"

"Refreshing," Zuko mutters as he pulls his shoes off. "Did you want something?"

Rezalia ignores his question as she leans against the closed door. "That's nice. And was there a specific reason that you needed to change clothes?"

"I didn't want to draw attention."

"Makes sense. What's in the bag?"

"Nothing. Weapons, just in case."

"How practical of you," Rezalia replies dryly. Quickly, she snatches the bag off the ground. Zuko tries to get her to stop, but Rezalia ducks away from him. She pulls a blue mask from the bag. "And I suppose this id just in case as well?"

"Zali, I......" Zuko shifts guilty. Rezalia sighs and drops both the mask and the bag onto the bed.

"Look, Z. You don't have to tell me what you were doing. I already know it was dangerous. But from now on I want you to tell me when you're going out and how long you think you'll be gone. I need to know when to start panicking."

"You.....you won't make me stop? Or force me to take you with me?"

"No, I won't. If you don't want to come, I won't. And I know better than to try and stop you from doing anything you're set on." Zuko smiles at her. "Now, I'm gonna head to bed."

"Wait!" Zuko exclaims as Rezalia reaches for the door knob. "Stay? Just for a while, I mean." Rezalia smiles and nods before jumping onto his bed. Zuko rolls his eyes at her and gestures for her to scootch over. "I had to save the avatar."

"You what?!" she exclaims.

"Yeah. Zhao captured the avatar so I went a broke him out. Zhao had some crazy archer guy knock me out, but the avatar saved me? I don't know. I just woke up under some tree and he started talking to me. I don't know what he wanted but he asked me if we would've been friends under different circumstances. It was weird," Zuko says, making a face.

"Sounds weird. Also, you do know that he has a name right?"

"Yeah, I know. It just helps when I don't think of him as human," Zuko mutters. Rezalia nods and pokes Zuko in the ribs. "Ah! What the hell, Zali?"

"You got all broody," Rezalia answers. Zuko scoffs.

The two of them talk well into the night, and eventually they both fall asleep. They both sat at the head of the bed with the pillows supporting their backs. Rezalia's head had tilted onto Zuko's shoulder and the prince's own head was tipped back. Iroh knocks on the prince's door only to receive no answer. Which struck him as strange since Zuko was typically a light sleeper.

Iroh's eyebrows furrow and he slowly opens the door. Upon seeing the position in which is nephew was in, Iroh grins and closes the door once more.