46

It wasn't until nightfall that Sokka went to retrieve Zuko. Rezalia had been offered an amazing room - the warden's words not hers - with a view of the courtyard. When the boys passed through it, she could see the slight shivering of the other firebender. The cold truly was horrible for them.

He turned and looked up to where he knew Rezalia would be standing and she nods, making her way to the exit. "Took you guys long enough. This here's my girl and my best buddy, they're coming too," Chit Sang announces. Rezalia feels her eye twitch.

"Fine. Everybody in the cooler. Let's go," Sokka orders, retrieving his clothes from where he'd stashed them. Zuko grabs Sokka by the elbow and murmurs something to him, glancing back at the prison as he does. Rezalia moves away to let them talk. Chit Sang's friend leans in and leered at her. Zuko catches the action and scowls but his focus is recaptured by Suki walking over and joining the conversation, eyebrows furrowed.

Chit Sang turns. "Hey, leave the girl alone. She's spoken for."

Rezalia didn't bother to correct him. Whatever kept the creepy dude away from her. Any other reasoning was her own buisness. Turning to check on the boys, Zuko appeared to be giving Sokka a very passionate speech. Chit Sang's girlfriend sighs and mutters something that causes him to cross his arms. "Hey, if you two are done cuddling, can we get a move on?"

As annoying as Chit Sang was, Rezalia agreed. They were sitting ducks out here.

"No. I'm staying. You guys go." Sokka turns to Suki. "You've been here long enough."

Suki shakes her head. "I'm not leaving without you, Sokka."

"We're staying too," Zuko says, moving to stand at Rezalia's shoulder. She nods, reaching out to softly punch at Sokka's shoulder. The other jailbirds decide to take off, to nobody's surprise.

Sokka sighs. "We gave up our only chance of escaping. I hope we haven't just made a huge mistake."

"Well, doing the impossible is sorta our whole thing, right? If anyone can break out of this joint twice, it's us." Sokka snorts and reluctantly nods. They make their way back to the entrance to the prison, taking their time a bit as they walk. Zuko stays mostly quiet, as was usual for him, and lingers near Rezalia's shoulder. Suki walks on the other side of Sokka, putting space between her and the prince. Everyone pretended not to notice.

Then the alarm goes off.

"The plan failed! They're caught!" Sokka gasps, turning back to where lights had been focused on the escapees.

Zuko and Rezalia exchange looks.

It was easy enough to sneak back into the room, what with everyone and their mothers being so focused on Chit Sang. Maybe the man was good for something after all. Suki and Zuko gathered cleaning supplies while Rezalia sat on the railing to "survey" while they "cleaned" behind her. Sokka lingered nearby under the guise of making sure that the prisoners were behaving.

When the gondala appeared, they all watched for the newcomers, keeping an eye out for Hakoda. True to the dramatic flair that ran through the while family, Hakoda was the last off of the gondola. Suki grabs Sokka by the arm. "Dad..." he murmurs.

As was custom, the newcomers were lined up in front of the warden. Rezalia squeezes Zuko's arm in goodbye and joins them in the courtyard. The warden welcomes her with a wide smile. She ignores him and makes brief eyecontact with Hakoda who quickly controls his expression and twists his face into a sort of neutral but also displeased look. To the side, Rezalia sees Sokka join the line of guards.