➳ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞 ~ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐉𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐖𝐢𝐧𝐤

This chapter belongs to my beautiful friend Lelê. Thank you for being so devoted to this book!  You've been a massive support and motivation and I love you too much!
EnterUsernameHere394 ♥️♥️♥️

 Thank you for being so devoted to this book!  You've been a massive support and motivation and I love you too much! EnterUsernameHere394 ♥️♥️♥️

(1st July 1977)

With the new month came a beautiful new day. The type that instantly put one in a spanking new mood and ready to seize whatever life's toils entailed.
The sun winked through the gap in James and Sirius' curtains shyly; almost like a child might hide in their mother's skirts. It drew seraphic golden stripes across the bedroom that set a tone difficult not to feel beatific in.

James woke first –he nearly always did– and he dressed before he went downstairs. It had always been a habit of his, to change before anything else, the same way that he never got into an unmade bed or readjusted his glasses religiously. He planned to run after breakfast and so he didn't dress for the day but he dressed all the same, his quidditch t-shirt sufficed.

Sirius still hadn't awoken when he went down the stairs but Marlene was perched on the kitchen counter, still in a rose-petal pink nightdress, white socks and a surprisingly tidy ponytail while nursing a mug of sweet tea like she tended to do in the morning. Wordlessly, James squeezed her shoulder and kissed her temple in greeting then went to raiding the cupboard for something to eat before he went out on his morning run. He'd gotten up a little later than usual but it didn't deter him by any means.

"Padfoot still lazing?"

"Three guesses," James replied, pulling a French pastry from the pantry and nearly inhaling it.

"There's only two possible answers."

"What about 'maybe'?"

"Maybe doesn't count." Marlene persisted, downing the last of her tea and using his shoulder for balance as she jumped off the counter.

Ensuring she was on the ground he proceeded to send her a malefic glare.
"Whatever."

Marlene's laugh hadn't yet died down when Euphemia Potter slipped into the room, looking a lot better than she had the past few days but still not her usual self, James noticed with a bought of melancholy.

"How are we, children? Isn't it a splendid day?"

"Spiffing one might say."

Mrs Potter smiled, habitually boiling the kettle with a flick of her sycamore wand and making a fresh cup of tea.
"Have you two got any plans for the day? I trust you're staying out of trouble?"