★ 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 ★

Little dedication to Sophie for reading a version of this about a million years ago! I've since rewritten it but i thought id give you a little credit :)
siriuslylupin6

Little dedication to Sophie for reading a version of this about a million years ago! I've since rewritten it but i thought id give you a little credit :) siriuslylupin6

It started in a room with no ceiling. Dripping waxy candles were suspended high into the abyss above, illuminating four extensive tables crammed with children of all ages. Some barley enticed in puberty's cruel turn, and others nearing adulthood by every stolen day.

Down the middle of the mahogany tables came a woman in forest green robes, wearing a scowl that suggested she had no time for wasting. She seemed to glide along the hall, leading a procession of children behind her, ogling the many wonders of the awe-worthy room. It was so surprise they called it The Great Hall.

Once the scowling woman reached her destination (the front of the hall) she stepped up onto a suspended area that overlooked the four tables, mere feet away from a fifth one, sporting oddly dressed adults of varying ages.

Next to the woman was a simple stool; made from the same dark mahogany as the four tables and atop it sat a rather peculiar looking old hat.
The group of children –that to anyone that hadn't been here before might assume were on display as some form of entertainment– were still half stupefied with astonishment when the scowling woman presented an extensive scroll of parchment that would likely have reached the floor if she had let it unravel all the way out.

She made as if she might have been about to recite the words penned on the parchment before the previously harmless and seemingly amorphous hat straightened itself out –much the the surprise of the huddled protégés who gasped with veracity while the seated groups of children smiled, their faces gleaming with  nostalgia.

The hat opened its makeshift mouth sang a tune of varying cadence with not much tone or character to it. The lyrics however were much more interesting and the group of avidly watching children listened with intent.

The singing hat told the story of four houses: Gryffindor "for those who dwell are brave of heart;" Ravenclaw, "where wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure," Hufflepuff, "where they are just and loyal," and finally Slytherin "will help you on your way to greatness."
It was clear to even the most dense pupils which table was being described during the wondrous hat's verse by the straightens of backs and the proud beaming grins each table offered on their turn.

"So put me on and we shall see, where you really ought to be!"

With a final ear splitting note (somewhere halfway between a howl and a scream) the hat drew its song to a close and bowed in such a way that only a hat would be able and yet, somehow, it was identifiable as such.

The Great Hall bursted into vigorous rounds of applause, whoops and cheers. The children in the middle of the room looked around them, flummoxed, for a moment before joining in. The old hat seemed to enjoy this attention and it continued to bow with great enthusiasm.