➳ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞 ~ 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐃𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

This chapter is dedicated to -enchantings for their immense support of this book and my account! I couldn't ask for more!
Love you ♥️♥️♥️

This chapter is dedicated to -enchantings for their immense support of this book and my account! I couldn't ask for more! Love you ♥️♥️♥️

(25th January 1978)

Lily had never intended on keeping track. Really she hadn't. But it had been seventeen days since she had said goodbye to her friends at the station, and in those seventeen days, it took until the sixteenth for James to write her a letter. She hadn't seen him yet.

The letter was sitting comfortably in her school satchel, the one she was carrying from class to class while it sat here innocuously, burning a hole through her head.

Despite being upset by the tardiness in which James wrote to her, she had yet to open the bloody thing. In sincerity, Lily hadn't much luck with letters. The last one that had her in a state like this she'd burnt (after keeping for the better part of seven years).

Remus had written to her, so had Marlene, and both had only mentioned James in passing. Lily was beginning to assume he'd broken both his arms and been deemed unable to write before the letter arrived through the post yesterday morning.
She had recognised the writing immediately, inky and cursive, like he was writing with great dexterity but also very little effort. It was a natural hand. Everything about him seemed to be natural. Why?

"OI!"
Lily's head shot up to see Dorcas standing in front of her, wearing a bemused expression, but a curious one also.
"I'm going to PE, I'll see you two at lunch alright?"

Only then did Lily realise Alice was on her other side. She'd been walking down the second floor corridor with them on each side the entire time, apparently. Lily didn't buy it...

"Try not to kill anyone, Cas."

Dorcas rolled her eyes, "I'll be an angel," and she was gone down the stairs, leaving Lily and Alice to find their German classroom together...

"It's unwise, you know?"

"What is?"

Alice and Lily were whispering from the back of the German classroom. This was the only class in Lily's timetable in which she sat at the back and she was going to make good use of it.

"To dwell on a letter for so long."

"I'm not dwelling."

Alice scoffed (she hardly ever scoffed).
"Yes, pet, you are."

Lily snorted (she did that all the time).
"Well then I'll stop bloody dwelling! I'll open it when I get home!"

Alice grinned, leaning over Lily's desk to steal her ruler.
"Do you want me there?"

"I'll be okay."

Alice smiled, her face the sort of angel that would be used as a weapon.
"I'll be by my phone."