➳ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞 ~ 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐀𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

This chapter dedication goes to Bree despite the fact I have no idea if she reads this book lmao! She's a beautiful friend regardless! Love you!
breesiena_914 ♥️♥️♥️

This chapter dedication goes to Bree despite the fact I have no idea if she reads this book lmao! She's a beautiful friend regardless! Love you! breesiena_914 ♥️♥️♥️

(21st December 1977)

It was mid afternoon and winter sun was bleeding into the windows of the Hogwarts Express and heating the compartment to a lazy tepidness, which was unusual for the time of year.
Snow had returned over the rolling hills, bidding farewell to the drab slush that had coated the landscape like a grey cancer, following the rain that had fallen last week. Now, everything was encased in glittering white, reflecting off the beaming sun and creating an affect that resembled what one might imagine commercial heaven would look like.

"Is he asleep?" Marlene pointed her cigarette at Sirius who was resting soundly on his boyfriend's shoulder, looking angelic and almost comically juxtaposed to his usual self.

"It would appear so," Remus replied, glancing down at him, while careful not to cause him to stir.

"I think I like him better when he's asleep." Esme-Leigh said from the other side of James. "Less likely to blow something up when he's asleep," she added, shifting in her seat to lie her head lazily on James' lap.

James chuckled softly, taking a drag from his own cigarette with the sort of cavalier attitude that one must spend years perfecting, "what is it they say? No rest for the wicked."

Marlene hummed in agreement, a languorous smile on her red painted lips.
"You two are a good match, Moony. Don't blow it."

Remus locked eyes with her, his expression turbulent, but Marlene only smiled wider. "I mean it. You just work. And the two of you have been wanting this for longer than necessary."

"She's right, mate."

Remus glanced at James and then back down to his shoulder. Sirius had his eyes shut, long dark, eyelashes fanning over his high cheekbones. His breath was steady and soothing. There was something grounding about dating Sirius this past few week or so. Everything was new but it felt like they'd been this way for years, not many people are in love before the first date, but Sirius was never the type of person to appreciate 'normal people'; in fact, he'd rather see opposing the phrase as a challenge.

"I never suggested she wasn't wrong."

At this, Marlene sat back in her seat, leaning into James and looking rather glib, "told you I'm right about everything. I'm like the fucking oracle!"

"That's a new extreme, Mar." James rolled his eyes, glancing over at Esme in attempt to share his exasperation with her, only to find that her and Peter had joined Sirius in sleep; Peter's head lolled backwards and Esme-Leigh's breaths had become shallow and steady. James ran his fingers through her hair and watched as it changed colour but she didn't stir.