➳ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨 ~ 𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐚 𝐖𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞

This chapter dedication goes to Ivy, they are constantly supportive of this book and I couldn't ask for anything more! Thank you for it all, love!
ivorynoelle ♥️♥️♥️

This chapter dedication goes to Ivy, they are constantly supportive of this book and I couldn't ask for anything more! Thank you for it all, love! ivorynoelle ♥️♥️♥️

(25th December 1977)

Steam rose from Marlene's mug of tea a million licks at a time, like it were wisps of cigarette smoke stolen out the window.
She sat curled up on the couch in her living room, soaking up the quiet house, savouring the serenity before her family and Esme-Leigh –whom had been staying with them– awoke, and inevitably filled the house with life. Loud, invasive life.

Christmas mornings had some sort of significance to them that Marlene couldn't quite place. There was something about the seclusion that felt like walking a fine border between excitement and apprehension. It felt like the calm before the storm.

"Up early, I see?"

Marlene looked up to see Lucas McKinnon, the youngest of her three older brothers. His dirty blonde hair still rumpled from sleep and his glasses placed untidily on his nose. It was moments like this when Marlene wondered if he was her brother at all, or if he were just James'.

Lucas grinned, sitting down on the armchair opposite her. They spent the Christmas holidays in the McKinnon estate in Bath, which meant plush turquoise suites, placed next to atmospherically lit windows, overlooking snow covered fields and gentle hills. It was a beautiful sight to behold, especially with the crackling magic of Christmas that filled the air.

"So, lets hear it."

Marlene stared blankly at her brother's brazen grin. "Hear what?"

"I want to know about you! Who's this Muggle girl you've been writing to me about? Who's likely to win the quidditch cup? How are you finding being Head Girl? Give me the whole nine yards, Marly." 

Marlene took a long drink from her mug, savouring the sting of the liquid's temperature slipping down her throat and lingering on her tongue.

She took a breath, levelling herself as if for battle, "First of all, you know I hate 'Marly'. Secondly, it's almost impossible to tell you everything in one go. I need targeted questions."

Lucas grinned jocosely, a glint in his hazel eyes that reminded her, yet again, of a certain marauder.
"Fine. You ready for the cross-examination of your life, Marlene?"
She nodded, rolling her shoulders and matching his tricksy smile.

They talked for an hour, covering Dorcas, quidditch training, head girl duties and the Magical Prejudice Protection. Lucas had left school by the time it was set up in their fifth year, and so he'd never been able to experience the passion for it that Marlene certainly had. She told him about the attack on Aliona, how Trudy had attacked Mulciber, and how the whole MPP was put in jeopardy. She told him how Jasmine Sempere saved the day by blackmailing their then Defence teacher, Professor Playford (Lucas found this part of the tale outrageously risible, having been on quite good terms with Jazzy, her being the year below him at school).