➳ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ~ 𝐀 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬, 𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐬 & 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬

This chapter is dedicated to Sophie. Despite not reading this book she's still a wonderful friend and supplied me with an abundance of deer related jokes so there's that... Love you!
BooksAndCocoa ♥️♥️♥️

 Love you!BooksAndCocoa  ♥️♥️♥️

(30th September 1977)

The last day in September begun with a hollow sunrise. One that didn't hold much soul or feeling and appeared rather drab if one cared enough to pay it any heed.

But however prosaic the sunrise may have been, Lily Evans did not mind. Because the sun was new and full of promises. The sunrise spoke of beginnings and possibilities and all sorts of things Lily had almost forgotten existed.

Her mother had spoken to her, and it had broken the barrier of whatever spell hung over the house like the plague. It meant that the wall of silence could be broken again. Soon she would have the courage to be the one to do it. She just needed a little more time...

♥ ♥ ♥

(30th September 1977 continued)

Dorcas arrived outside Lily's door dressed in school uniform and a winter jacket, her tight curls atop her head in a bun, always practical.

"Thought you weren't going to show up for a minute, sweetheart. Had me waiting an age!" She cried when her best friend finally stumbled out the door, looking sheepish but positively aglow with happiness.
"Lily?"

"What?"

"You're grinning like someone's stuffed you with rainbows." Her tone was far too matter-of-factly to fit her aphorisms. It only made Lily smile more.

"If this is what being stuffed with rainbows feels like then I'll gladly put up with the rain."

Dorcas groaned, "oh, for Pete's sake, Lily! Stop being philosophical and just tell me what's got you in a good mood!"

Lily locked the empty house behind her and followed her best friend back out to the gate, linking their arms together and leaning into the taller girls side.
"Just... everything." She paused, glancing up at Dorcas as they hurried along the road, "do you ever have something happen to you that makes you think that everything might just be okay in the end after all?"

"Yeah I have. But it wasn't a something, Lil, it was someone."

"Oh?"

Dorcas didn't look down to meet her friend's eye, instead she smiled up at the sky, like it shared with her some kind of fantastic secret.
"Marlene. She hit the reset button on just about everything bad in my life. And I loved her all the more for it."