➳ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱 ~ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

This chapter goes to Daisy for being such a kind soul and genuine person! I don't know if they read this book but c'est la vie!
irenic-dxisy ♥️♥️♥️

This chapter goes to Daisy for being such a kind soul and genuine person! I don't know if they read this book but c'est la vie! irenic-dxisy ♥️♥️♥️

(18th February 1978)

The look in her eyes was turning to crystal, tears dripping down her skin, cracking its beauty.

James held her closer, brushing a stray lock of hair behind her ear, hypnotised by the way it turned a delicate blue under his fingertips.

"Ez—"

Mistakes, he realised, were always defined in the past tense. That was why they were only identifiable as one after the fact. He could see it in her eyes, screaming. Mistake.

"I love you," she whispered as he tracked one of the tears, slipping down her cheek to her jaw.

James pulled her into him, burying his head in her hair, faded from cobalt to a golden blonde. It still smelled like lavender.

"I know."

Mistakes. He knew all about them now.

♣ ♣ ♣

(14th February 1978: before)

People stared. They always stared.

Sometimes Esme-Leigh Bisset thought she might get used to all the staring, but ever since word spread that she was taking James Potter on a date, things only got worse. Girls in the corridors, sending her sneers; boys leering, calling her easy, or boys staring wistfully at the girl they wanted to ask out for themselves. But she didn't always feel like a girl to take on innocent dates, she felt like a debt.

Every so often, people would come up to her and try to warn her that she was making a mistake. Of course it wasn't in the same way that Marlene had, they were offering ill judged advice for personal gain, but it didn't undermine the fact they were right. It was a mistake, of course it was. They both must have known that.

But every now and again, a kinder student, usually younger, would come up to her and offer congratulations to them both, deeming them a perfect couple, to which she would smile, but the taste of the word 'perfect' burned her mouth. They weren't perfect, these students didn't know them at all.

The Wednesday fell on Valentine's Day. A date usually considered a nightmare amongst the older students, as twelve year olds scurried around, confessing their superficial love to one another, charming cherubs to recite poetry and serenade the objects of their affections. But for the older students it was a tedious affair. One they would mostly all like to bypass; unless, of course, they find themselves in perfect relationships with perfect partners where nothing could possibly go wrong.

Esme-Leigh fucking hated Valentine's Day. But people were staring. People were always staring. So she took James' hand in the corridors, and smiled up at him when he glanced down.