twenty-six | summer

Summer break arrived, much to Elise's relief. She was happy to be away from Hogwarts for a little and not have to make uncomfortable, painful eye contact with Severus in the corridors, class, or Great Hall.

It was also getting tiring having to constantly explain to people that she and Severus weren't together anymore. Of course, she had to lie and cover up the reason why they split is because he's a Death Eater. However, James and Sirius insisted that she expose him to the whole school.

But she couldn't. Even though she shouldn't, Elise loved him still. Everyone assured her that if she kept her distance and took some time, the feelings would fade. But it was halfway through summer break now and all she could do is sit in her bedroom, wallowing in the pain she felt from both his lies and the fact she'd never be held or kissed by him again.

Her parents and Remus were very concerned and tried their best to bring her smiles in any way they could. Elise felt horrible for making people worry, but she couldn't shake off the feeling of hurt and emptiness she felt. She simply couldn't find the energy to fake it.

Today was like the others; she laid sprawled across her bed, holding a book over her face to read. The Beatles was playing softly from the stereo in the corner and she tried to pretend the world didn't exist. That was, until a knock came at her door.

"Come in," she called lazily, feeling a prickle of irritation upon being brought back to reality.

The door creaked as Remus walked in, a large grin on his face as he sat down on the edge of her bed.

"Pack your things, El."

Elise closed her book and looked at him, blinking in confusion. "Excuse me? Are you evicting me?"

"Yes," Remus chuckled, then passed her a letter. "Sirius got kicked out from his house -"

"What?!" She jolted upright, taking the letter and scanning it with wide eyes. "That's horrible!"

"Right, but it worked out for the better. You see, James' parents have offered to take him in."

"And are inviting us to stay for the rest of summer too," she said as she read the words on the parchment.

Remus nodded and patted her shoulder roughly. "Yep! And you, my dear sister," he said with a sad smile. "Need some socializing."

Elise furrowed her brows and shook her head, handing the letter back to him.

"No, I'll just stay here. I don't think I can handle them all shit-talking Severus right now."

Her brother rolled his eyes. "I will tell them not to, El. But you have to be around friends right now. Lily will be there too."

Elise felt herself give a tiny half-smile at the mention of the one girl who could somewhat understand how she was feeling; it was true that Lily wasn't in love with Severus like she was, but she still had felt the same betrayal by the boy.

Remus took her miniscule change in expression as a yes, and beamed. With a firm pat on her back - that made her groan - he stood up and walked to the door.

"Pack your things! The Potters are picking us up tomorrow morning!" He called as he departed, closing the door behind him.

-

The next morning, Elise dragged her suitcase along with her school trunk to the front door, as they wouldn't be coming back home before the next school year started. Remus had just set his own beside hers when the knock came.

Lyall and Hope Lupin scurried to open the door, greeting the Potters warmly and asking to 'keep their pups out of trouble.' However, Elise wasn't sure how possible that would be with a house full of the Marauders.

The Potters Disapparated with Remus and Elise, with the latter clutching desperately to Euphemia's arm - she loathed the feelings caused by Apparating.

When the sharp cracking sound announced their arrival, and Elise found her feet planted back on the ground once again, she breathed out a nauseated sigh and released her grip on James' mother.

The front door of the large, impressive house - Elise swears it's pretty much a mansion - swung open and three excited boys clambered out. Fleamont and Euphemia stepped away quickly as the boys quite literally tackled the Lupin siblings.

Elise felt herself let out the first real laugh she'd had in a long time as the boys greeted her and her brother with happy yells and rough hugs.

Maybe this would be good for her.

-

Elise placed her things in a room she'd be sharing with Lily, who wouldn't arrive for another day. She claimed the bed next to a large window overlooking the vast, beautifully green backyard.

A memory flickered through her mind of sitting atop the Astronomy tower, the sun beaming down on her skin and Severus' arm around her waist. The grounds of Hogwarts were below them, the Black Lake shimmering with sunlight in the distance.

The door flung open and she jumped as she broke out of her daydream with her heart still aching.

"Bandit!" Sirius exclaimed as he walked in and ruffled her hair, a big goofy grin on his face. "We're all walking into town to get some lunch, come on!" Without even waiting for a reply, he grabbed her hand and pulled her downstairs.

The group - including Peter who had arrived shortly after Elise and Remus - all strolled down to the village just a few minutes out from the house. There, they stopped at a little diner, joking and playing with their food more often than actually eating, but Elise felt close to happy.

Perhaps it was just distraction, after all it was hard to stop and ponder your mind when the Marauders were around, but nonetheless she was glad for their company.

After eating, they stopped at a house and James acquired some alcohol from an older boy. He held it up in victory as they began to head back home, the others shouting in victory.

Elise just gaped at him, to which he let out a loud laugh.

"Relax, Bandit, my parents don't care as long as we stay at home."

"They won't tell our parents?" Elise asked incredulously, tilting her head at him.

Remus chucked and slung an arm over his sister's shoulders. "They haven't told on me from the times when I spent time here."

Elise laughed, slapping Remus' chest playfully and shaking her head.

At night, they all huddled together on the large sectional couch, drinks in hand, and watched movies until around three in the morning.

-

"Elise! I'm heeeere!" A familiar voice sang before the person ripped open the curtain to the window by her bed. Light spilled in onto her face and she groaned loudly.

Struggling to open her eyes and squinting as they adjusted, Elise was able to make out the fiery red hair looming above her.

"Lily!" She shrieked happily, throwing her blanket off of her to stand and hug the girl.

"Now there's the reaction I wanted!" Lily laughed as she hugged her friend back tightly. "How have the boys been?"

Pulling away, Elise beamed at her. "Oh, the usual," she said with a roll of her eyes, though a smile on her lips still. "I'm happy to have another girl here."

"I'm just happy my parents allowed it!" Lily chuckled, then her smile turned into one of sympathy. "How are you doing?"

Elise's smile faltered and she shrugged, clearing her throat. "Better now that I'm here, I suppose."

"Good. Don't waste your summer being sad," Lily said as she turned to move her bags over to her bed. "That's mostly why I wanted to come, was to make sure you're staying positive."

Elise lifted a brow suspiciously. "Not to snog James?" she asked in a playful tone.

Lily flushed and turned to her with a bashful smile. "Well, maybe a little bit of that, too."