twenty-seven | memories

The rest of the summer truly was exactly what Elise needed. Or, very nearly was.

During the day, she would hangout with the Marauders and Lily, playing games, watching the boys play Quidditch in the yard, drinking and watching movies, or simply just lazing around and talking amongst each other.

During the day, she was happy. While the sun was up and those who loved her were around, Severus wasn't on her mind. The distractions were plentiful and for hours at a time, she thought maybe it was possible to not hurt anymore. To not think about what he did or how he lied about it so effortlessly.

But at night, when the house is silent, the darkness creeps over not only the walls and floors but Elise herself. Even with Lily snoring softly in the bed across the room, she is alone.

The distractions were gone and the image of the quiet Slytherin boy slithered into her thoughts like a pack of snakes. Snakes that hiss and whisper the reminders in her ears.

'Liar.'

'Death Eater.'

'Monster.'

But for whatever reason, though she knew the whispers to be true, Elise couldn't picture Severus as any of those things no matter how hard she tried.

She wanted to. She wanted to hate him, to believe he was a liar, a monster, and follower to the Darkest Wizard the world has ever known.

However, the images of his pale face framed by the raven black long hair - that was so soft to the touch - and his deep onyx eyes crinkled into one of his rare smiles wouldn't let her despise him. The memory of his gentleness, his thoughtful gestures, and deeply caring nature was all she could focus on.

And, to be honest, it sucked.

-

Elise followed the Marauders and Lily into the train, with her eyes focused on the ground before her. If she looked up, who knows who she might see.

And she didn't know what she'd do if it was him.

The group piled into a compartment, Remus helping his sister lift her luggage up onto a shelf. With a sigh, Elise sat next to the window, with Lily beside her.

The night before had been the most unkind to her she'd ever had. It must have been due to her knowing she'd return to Hogwarts today and would more than likely see the source of her pain.

"Want to use my lap to take a nap, love?" Lily asked her gently, noticing the dark circles beneath her hazel eyes.

Elise nodded slowly, giving the red-head a weak, but grateful smile before laying on her side on the seat and resting her head in Lily's lap. The Gryffindor girl played with the brunette hair comfortingly. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep.

It had felt as if she had only blinked, however, when it was time to wake. Groggily, she followed Lily to the bathrooms so they could change into their House robes. In the corner of her eye, Elise believed she saw platinum blond, long hair beside someone with inky black hair in one of the compartments she passed.

They had turned and glanced at her, but she quickened her pace to the bathrooms. Mostly to restrain herself from looking back.

-

Severus' POV

His summer had been quite different than it ever had been. Instead of being at home with his abusive father and brain-dead mother, he had stayed with Lucius at Malfoy Manor.

The grand halls and large meals were polar opposite to his run-down, decrepit brick house on Spinner's End.

There, a few other Slytherins had visited every now and then and discussed the future plans. Plans that the Dark Lord had passed down the line of Death Eaters and eventually reached them; his newest recruits.

Severus had been lectured many times by Mulciber and Lucius for being 'distracted all year by a Half-blood girl.' He had to bite his tongue and force apologies out for the... 'momentary lapse in judgement,' as he called it.

But, of course, it hadn't been. Though he regretted placing Elise in danger by engaging in a relationship with her, he felt his heart ache at memories of her. The memory of how he ruined everything with her.

His love for her was much different than the infatuation he had felt for Lily. With Lily, it had been entirely one-sided and doomed from the beginning. She was the first girl to show him true kindness, and she would always hold a special place in his heart.

But, Elise... she was his heart. She was the first to see him for who he truly was. The one to break down his walls and show him love. The girl was so stubborn with her love and never would have given up on him.

Even now, as Severus watched her stare at the floor with tired eyes as she slowly walked past his compartment behind Lily, he could tell she hadn't given up on him.

And he knew that he would have to be the one to have the strength to stay away. They had to stay apart. He had to keep her safe.

Lucius, who was talking in-depth about something the older Death Eaters mentioned over the summer in hushed tones, followed Severus' gaze to the girl.

Turning back to him, Lucius scowled. "You have to let it go, Severus," he muttered harshly. "If you kept that relationship going, she'd be dead the moment you make any mistake with the Dark Lord. Understand?"

Severus tore his eyes from where Elise was before she had walked quickly out of sight. Now he was met with Lucius' cold grey eyes and he nodded slowly.

"Yes. I understand."

-

A/N: Sorry I've been slacking and that this chapter is so short! This one & the last one were just fillers. I've been bad at posting due to Holidays and honestly just lack of inspiration ;-; but I promise I'm going to try harder and get this story finished <3

I appreciate the love I've gotten on this story more than you can understand. I started this with the intention of only getting MAYBE a hundred views, and now I have over a thousand. And the comments seriously make me giggle like a little kid. I love seeing ya'll's reaction to things, so don't be shy on comments! <3

One more thing! Originally, my story after this was going to be a Draco Malfoy love story. But I think I will need a break from the whole forbidden Death Eater relationship after this one, lmao. Soooo, I will be writing a George Weasley fic! Which I'm super excited for because damn I love that boy lol. The Draco one will still happen, but after the George one is finished! <3

Again, thank you guys!