fourty-three | professor

The following two months weren't any relief on the Order or anyone else who was against Voldemort. In fact, it truly seemed as if he was going to win.

Families were panicked and either in hiding or trying to flee the country, however the latter truly wasn't going to be of help, as Voldemort had followers all over the world at this point. It didn't matter who you were or where you hid, he would find you eventually.

In fact, that's what happened to the Bones family. Amelia and Edgar were murdered in their homes not long after the Mckinnon family deaths, leaving their baby daughter orphaned.

And not only them. Fabian and Gideon Prewett also fell victim to this war. Elise couldn't get the image of Molly's face when she discovered it out of her mind. It took five Death Eaters to take those two down, though, and that had brought her some comfort and pride for her brothers.

It had been a hard time to get through, with no end to the horror in sight. No light at the end of this seemingly infinite tunnel. These events and these thoughts kept Elise in bed whenever she wasn't with the Order. It was beginning to feel... Hopeless. The people killed were some of the most intelligent and strong wizards and witches there were.

Who was next? That was all Elise could think. If they were able to be found and murdered, then anyone could. Easily. Severus had reassured her that the Dark Lord wouldn't come for her, because if Voldemort killed Severus' wife, then he would lose him as a powerful ally who fed him essential information. Or so he believed.

But she wasn't worried for herself. She was worried for Lily who was Muggleborn. For James and Sirius who were 'blood traitors.' For Albus who had been the sworn enemy of Tom Riddle from before any of them had been born. They were all targets for slaughter. And what could she do to stop it? Nothing.

"Elise, love," Severus' soft deep voice came as he entered the bedroom. The light from the hall leaked into the dark room and she flinched at it. "Are you ready to go?"

She sighed and nodded, climbing out of bed. She was fully clothed and her luggage packed, but had crawled back into bed before they had to leave. The thoughts of despair were heavy on her mind today and she could hardly take it.

He strode across the room to wrap her in his arms. A small smile cracked onto her lips as he peppered kisses all over her face.

"There, that's what I like to see." He murmured as his dark eyes took in one of her now-rare smiles

"I'm sorry I've been like this..." She said with a sigh, reaching up to run her fingers through his hair. He looked so handsome today, dressed in his nice black robes.

"No need to apologize," he replied, placing a finger on her lips. "This is a tough time for everyone. There is no correct way to handle any of this."

Elise nodded, but didn't respond, just stared at the ends of his locks that she still played with. Severus took her chin between his two fingers and tilted it upwards to face him, her eyes finally finding his.

"But today," he began quietly. "Today is the start of something good. For both of us. It may not be the end of our troubles, but it's positive nonetheless."

She once again nodded, giving him a tiny smile and a kiss.

"So, time to go?"

Severus nodded, returning her grin before grabbing her trunk with one hand and her hand in the other. He led her out into the living room where Remus waited. She nearly tackled her brother in a hug.

"Be safe. Please. Promise me." She whispered in his ear, voice shaking slightly.

Severus was beginning his job as Potions Professor at Hogwarts tomorrow morning and today they were headed to the castle to move in their things to stay for the school year. Of course, Elise had the option to stay living at the apartment, but she simply didn't want to be parted from her husband for that long. Sure, she could visit, but it wouldn't be the same. So, at least for awhile, she was to be his assistant.

However, this meant leaving her brother alone in the apartment. She'd asked him numerous times if he wanted her to stay, but he told her every single time to 'quit being ridiculous, I'm a grown man. Go live with your husband.'

"I promise, El." Remus muttered, squeezing her. "I'll try to pop into Hogwarts every once in awhile for a visit. It'd be nice to see the place."

Elise pulled away from the hug finally and beamed at him, nodding. "You better!" She said, which he chuckled at. "I love you, Remy."

"Love you, too."

With that, she and Severus grabbed their things, Apparating to just outside the castle gates. A rush of happiness surged through Elise's body as she gazed at it. She was reminded of some of her absolute best memories of her time there. Of course, including the one from a few months ago when Severus proposed.

Severus looked down at his wife beside him and smiled, seeing how her mood already seemed to lift. Maybe this would truly be good for them.

They made their way through the empty school, finding the large classroom that he would be teaching Potions in. Attached to it and separated by a door, was his office, where they would be living for the next while.

Elise scowled when they entered the office and saw the Slytherin-colored bedding and furniture.

"The bloody Hell is this?"

Severus chuckled, setting down their trunks and wrapping his arms around her from behind as she scrutinized the room.

"It's the dungeons, my dear." He muttered in her ear, causing her to shiver. "You're in snake territory now, my dear Hufflepuff."

Trying to ignore the feelings he always seemed to give her when he talked in her ear with that deep voice of his, she cleared her throat. 

"I don't give a Peter's ass. I'm gonna redecorate."

A low chuckle emitted from his chest as he began placing kisses on her neck.

"Professor," she said with a dramatic gasp, turning around in his arms and giving him a sly smile. "That is wildly inappropriate!"

Severus rolled his eyes, grinning, before grabbing her face in his hands and kissing her. She immediately melted into it and looped her arms around his neck.

For the first time in awhile, she felt somewhat positive about the future.

Maybe - just maybe - everything could turn out okay.