fourty | bittersweet

Months passed by, with winter turning into spring. The peacefulness of Christmas departed as quicky as it came. More battles were fought; some won, some lost. Wizards and witches were becoming anxious and fearful, as there was still no end in sight for the war raging on. Members of the Order were becoming tired of fighting, however had no intention of giving up.

There was still no word from Lily and James, though in a way it was comforting. If Voldemort had managed to find and kill baby Harry, fulfilling the Prophecy, be surely wouldn't have been quiet about it. But Elise missed her two friends dearly.

Especially now that she stood at her mother's funeral.

Hope Lupin had passed away from her illness a few days ago, and although her death was expected, it didn't dull the blow on any of the family.

Remus kept his arm around his sister, trying to be strong and not shed tears in her presence. However, a few ran down his cheek as he stared at the coffin in the ground. Elise's own tears fell quicker as their father said a few words about their mother.

"I met my dear wife when I worked in the Ministry, in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures," he began, sniffling as he spoke in a cracking tone. "It was in a forest in Wales... She was taking a walk through the woods and encountered a Boggart. I came to her rescue and turned the bloody thing into a mushroom."

A few sad, light chuckles emerged from the funeral-goers, including Lyall himself as he wiped his eyes with a tissue.

"We fell in love and she gifted me with my two beautiful children, whom she loved more than I can ever put into words."

Elise wrapped her arms around her brother as a sob wracked her body. Severus stood behind them and placed a comforting hand on her back, rubbing it gently.

Sirius, Marlene, and Peter stood behind them as well, looking at their friends with sadness in their eyes as they wished they could take away their pain.

"Hope was the most kind, patient, and intelligent woman I've ever had the privilege to know," Lyall continued once he regained his composure. "And she would hate to see the sadness here today. But I know she doesn't blame us, for we lost an incredible soul who was irreplaceable and loved dearly."

In a show of support and remembrance of Hope, Severus raised his wand into the air and quickly the others followed. Friends and family held up their wands in silence as Lyall finished his speech. He joined the small crowd of people and did the same.

Tears flowed freely down each face as they said goodbye and paid their respects to the woman who gave birth to their favorite wolf, and the sister of the wolf.

-

That night, Elise went home with Remus and Severus to the apartment. The latter had officially moved in with them a few weeks prior, and Elise was glad to have him there for support at this time.

"Get some rest, okay?" Remus said softly as he wiped his sister's wet cheek with his thumb. "Mum would kill us if we lost sleep over her."

Elise gave a small smile and nodded, bidding him goodnight as she and Severus walked to her bedroom. There, they sat down on the bed and she let out a shaky sigh.

"How are you doing, love?" Severus asked as he wrapped an arm around her, eyeing her with concern.

He, too, was hurting over the passing of Hope Lupin. Not only was she the one who brought the love of his life into this world, but she was a truly kind woman just as Lyall had said earlier. Despite his past choices and bad decisions, she had accepted him into their family as a son when Elise had brought him over to introduce him.