thirty-nine | ramona

Elise woke up on Christmas morning feeling rested and the happiest she'd been in who knows how long. Feeling like a kid again, she climbed out of her bed and raced down the hall. She flung open her brother's door and did a cannonball onto his bed.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS, REMUS!" She shouted, and could swear she could hear her parents laughing from the living room.

Remus groaned and blinked his sleepy eyes open to glare at her.

"Merry Christmas, asshole..." He grumbled, but he couldn't help the smile on his face. It was nice to see his sister this happy. So for her, he climbed out of bed at way-too-fucking-early in the morning.

Elise laughed and dragged him to the living room, greeting her parents as they entered. Together, the family sat and opened presents, joked, and giggled like they did before the world had gone to shit.

Even Hope Lupin, wrapped up in a blanket on the couch, had more life and joy in her eyes than back when she was healthy. Lyall sat close to his wife with an arm wrapped around her shoulders, opening her presents for her so that she didn't need to move.

For a little while, it truly didn't feel as if a Wizarding War was going on. Like Elise and Remus weren't on the front lines of it nearly every day. As if everything was going to be okay.

"Oh, Elise, dear," her mum spoke up after they'd finished opening gifts. A sly grin adorned her features. "I actually have one more surprise for you."

Elise looked at her mother in confusion, brows furrowed. "Really? There aren't any more under the tree... Are you sure?"

Her parents looked at each other knowingly and back at her, beaming.

"Yes, well, it ran a bit late, but should be arriving any minute now..." Her father said mischievously.

Elise looked at her brother, who just shrugged, but had the same smirk on his face as their parents did.

As if on cue, a knock came at the door and they gestured for her to go and get it. She hopped up on her feet and walked quickly over and when she opened the door, she felt her eyes immediately sting with tears.

"Merry Christmas, El!"

There stood Willow and her wife Freya, bundled up in coats and smiling broadly at her. Elise nearly knocked them off of their feet when she tackled them in a hug.

"Will... Freya... What are you doing here?!" She finally asked when she released them from her tight grip.

"Well, your mum invited us duh." Willow said as if it were obvious.

"And it was past due time for you to meet someone..." Freya said, and at her words, the cutest little girl stepped out from behind her, holding onto her hand.

"Oh my Merlin..." Elise breathed out. "I didn't know you brought her! Get inside, it's bloody cold out there!"

The girls laughed and entered the house, saying hello to the Lupin parents and Remus as they did. They all sat in the living room and Willow placed the little girl on Elise's lap.

About two years ago, Willow and Freya dropped out of Hogwarts, moved to America, and eloped. They wanted to be further from the war so that they could start their family. Which they did, by using a sperm donor. Freya was who carried the baby. And that is how Ramona came to be.

"She looks exactly like you, Freya," Elise gushed as she braided Ramona's blonde hair. The two-year-old giggled happily at the attention. "She's absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you -" Freya began, but was interrupted by her wife.

"Really? Why does no one ever say she looks like me?!"

Everyone just stared at Willow for a moment, waiting for her to think about what she said. They all suppressed laughter as she gazed around in confusion.

After what felt like way too long, realization donned on her and she snorted.

"Oh, oops. Right."

The room broke into a fit of giggles, which Ramona joined in on, even though she definitely didn't know what they were talking about.

"So, Lily and James had a baby and we have one, too. When is it your turn, El?" Willow asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"A very good question, considering her and Severus are now back together." Remus said with a smirk.

Elise's jaw dropped at her brother. "You are so lucky I have a child on me right now and can't smack you."

"You're dating a Death Eater?!" Willow's eyes widened and she smacked her hand to her forehead. "What the Hell -"

"Merlin, Will, no," she cut her off before she could go on a full rant. "Severus joined the Order. I can't go into full details about it, but... He's with us."

Willow breathed out a dramatic breath of relief before her playful expression returned.

"So, when's the wedding, then?!"

Freya smacked her wife's arm and shook her head, grinning at how ridiculous she could be.

Elise rolled her eyes. "I don't even know if he wants marriage - or kids, for that matter. And, honestly, I'm fine with whatever he wishes."

"Fine, fine." Willow backed off, putting her hands up in surrender. Freya then nudged her.

"Don't you wanna tell her the big surprise?"

"Oh, right!" Willow beamed, looking at her daughter. "Hey, Momo, what's your middle name?"

"Ewise!" The little girl declared proudly.

Elise felt her eyes brim with tears once again and she hugged the child close to her.

"You named her after me?"

"Of course," Willow replied, sounding genuine and sincere - which was rare for her. "After the most loyal, amazing friend I've ever had."

Elise sniffled and had to wipe away tears falling down her cheek, shaking her head as she cuddled Ramona.

"That's... The sweetest thing I've ever heard..."

"Yeah, don't get too used to it." Willow joked with a wink.

-

A/N: sorry this chapter was so short, but I hope my constant updates make up for it! This story is somewhat nearing its end, and I appreciate every single one of you for making it feel like I've done something good by writing it.

And... I have the first few chapters of my next story already written. Do you think Ramona plays a part in it?