thirty-seven | crucio

"How are you feeling, mum?" Elise asked as she passed Remus some ornaments for the tree. Their mother sat on the couch, wrapped in a blanket.

The Muggle woman smiled, bringing life to her sickly pale, gaunt features. A pang of sorrow struck Elise whenever she saw her mother, and she knew that was why she hadn't wanted her children around so much. She didn't want them to see her wither like this.

"Oh, I'm doing just fine, love. Stop worrying about me." Her weak voice replied.

Elise simply nodded, shooting her mother a strained smile before continuing to wrap a string of colorful lights around the tree.

She felt so grateful to have this time off to spend with her parents and brother. Of course she saw Remus every day, but they were usually discussing Order business or she was venting about her potentially ended relationship with Severus. She'd even told him about the last time they'd talked in school, when they agreed to find each other again one day and pick up where they left off.

But that hadn't happened. And Elise struggled during the last month with that. Truth be told, she was struggling with a lot.

Lily and James in hiding, their lives endangered along with that of their baby son. Unable to receive any word from them at all.

Her mother having less than a year to live, appearing and acting less like herself every time they visited.

Severus practically avoiding her at the Order meetings and barely speaking more than two words to her at a time. Not to mention Emmeline throwing herself at him every chance she got.

The sound of shattering against the wood floors at her feet broke her out of her thoughts. She'd knocked an ornament off the tree and now it was in pieces.

"Elise," her mother spoke up, worry laced in her words. "Are you feeling alright, dear?"

Elise blinked down at the broken pieces of ornament and cleared her throat before nodding.

"Of course, mum."

Remus looked at his sister knowingly, but she avoided meeting his sad gaze. It would only cause her to break down.

As she leaned down and carefully gathered up the shards, a blue light floated into their living room. She stood, getting Remus' attention.

The blue light then turned into a beautiful patronus of a phoenix and from it, Albus Dumbledore's voice came.

"Remus and Elise, I am very sorry to interrupt your Christmas with your family, but there are urgent matters that require you at the Order immediately. My deepest apologies. Safe travels, my friends."

And with that, the phoenix disappeared into thin air.

"Sounds like you two are needed, then." Their father said from the armchair nearby, a small smile on his face, but his eyes full of concern.

Elise knew he was proud of the work they did for the war, but that it caused both of their parents to worry constantly over their safety.

"Can't they just find someone else? Maybe we can tell them -" Remus began, looking hurt at the thought of leaving.

"No, Remus. You know we have to go." Elise interrupted firmly. Her brother just nodded. He knew she was right.

"Go on then," their mother said with a grin. "Duty calls. We'll be here when you return."

Elise smiled sadly at her mother and nodded, going over to give her a hug and kiss goodbye before doing the same for her father.

The siblings then linked arms and disapparated. The feeling of twisting and turning lasted only seconds before they found themselves before that grimy brick building they knew so well.