Chapter 23

Okay! I uploaded them both in one night, enjoy ;D

Fan, Comment, Vote, Smile, Believe <33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 She had the striking green eyes that Cain had, though her's were harder. Her white hair was pulled back into a bun, a few carefully chosen strands hanging out. She was smiling sweetly, wrinkles forming under her eyes. But, I've known too many evil people for her to fool me that easily.

  I took careful notice of the small things, a nerve in her jaw jumped, her eyes narrowed slightly, and her hands gripped her purse tighter.

My eyes followed down her figure, admiring at how skinny and pretty she was in her deep red gown. She also held an aura of power, that would send little kids running for the hills. Well, I wasn't a kid. And she didn't scare me.

I bent my knees a little, giving a small courtesy. I stood up straight again, meeting her eyes courageously. She acknowledged my courage and gave me an observing glance, taking her time to glance up and down.

I stuck out my hand and she eyed it for a moment before grasping it gently.

"I'm Katerina, or Kat." I introduced.

She smiled an actual smile before it turned sour again.

"Charmed. I'm Charity Masters."

I nodded slightly, letting go of her hand.

"The pleasure is mine, Mrs. Masters."

Her lips twitched in a smile before she remembered who I was.

I heard someone cough from behind her, breaking the silence. Recognition flashed through Mrs. Masters face and she stepped aside, revealing a boy Cain and I's age.

 Her had curly chestnut hair that touched the nape of his neck and flawless features. His jaw was lax, amber eyes surveying the scene. He wore a black sports jacket with black slacks, and everything about him screamed PLAYER.

 My sixth sense tingled slightly and I watched his every movement. He didn't seem to be dangerous, his steps were normal - swaggerish if anything. He came to a stop in front of me and reached out a hand. I took it carefully, looking up.

  I looked into his amber eyes and knew right away something was off. 

I shouted at myself to stop acting insane.  Not everyone was out to get me.

 "Maxwell, or Max if you prefer." He purred.

"Katerina to you." I responded, tone biting.

He smirked and kissed my hand, nearly making me flinch. I could feel Cain's hand squeeze tighter around my right hand, while Maxwell basically made out with my left. He dropped it then and stepped back, next to Mrs. Masters.

  I took a step back as well, finally feeling safe as I took place next to Cain. The tight hold on my hand loosened and I glanced at him, noting how he was glaring at Maxwell, jaw tight.

 "Maxwell is the son of an associate of mine, treat him well." Mrs. Masters - Charity - commanded.

 After another moment of silence, everyone began to relax and chatting quietly but, after a while the talking grew louder and more friendly. I never left Cain's side the whole night as we walked about the room, greeting everyone. Once in a while I would feel like someone was staring at me, then when I turned all I saw was everyone chatting.

  We were talking with Cain's Great Aunt Carrie when I had to go to the bathroom.

 "Excuse me," I said, letting go of Cain's hand. He gave me a look and I knew what it meant. Watch your back.