Chapter 30

I am so freaking sorry for everything I put you guys through. I know how you felt and I'm sure you guys probably hate me bunches right now- so I'll just have to make you love me again! (:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  I shrugged out of my bulky jacket as we stepped past the thresh hold into the Masters' home. Without a second of hesitation, I snatched the phone off the hook and headed towards the white room where I was supposed to be sleeping at night. I always somehow ended up in Cain's bed, though.

  I had been thinking about what to say to Grandma Charlie most of the day after lunch. How I could explain things to her and ask about my mother without the poor old woman having a stroke. With a resigned sigh, I plopped down on the soft comforter. Within a minute, Cain had come into the room and shut the door, sitting next to me- both our backs leaning against the wall. He had us shoulder to shoulder and I took a small comfort in having his familiar warmth next to me.

  With a deep breath, I dialed the number to the nursing home in Colorado, wincing as a woman's voice answered.

 "North Colorado Home for the Elderly, can I help you?" Her voice was bored. I swallowed thickly before replying.

"Yes. I'm looking for a Charlie Herald, please?" I asked.

"Just a moment."

I waited quietly while Cain made a game of playing with my fingers and glancing up at me curiously.

"Hello?"

Warmth flooded through my veins at the thin, kind voice that whispered through the receiver.

Grandma Charlie.

"Grandma Charlie?" I questioned, tentatively.

"Oh! Kat, is that you dear? I haven't heard from you in so long! Oh my! How are you and Casey?" She sounded so genuinely happy it almost hurt me to have to explain things to her.

"Not to well, me-maw. But, before I explain, can you tell me about mom? I know you're dad's mom, obviously- but do you know anything about her?" I heard a linger sigh from the other end of the phone.

"I figured this day would come." She replied, sounding forlorn.

"She's not... dead, is she?" I asked, feeling panic rise up in my throat.

"Oh heavens no! She's as alive as can be, that Mary-Ann."

"Where, me-maw? Where is she?"

 I braced myself for the answer. I knew I wouldn't like it, no matter what. She wouldn't have stayed in town, that much was clear. I myself would want to be as far anyway from that demon man as possible. I really didn't even want to know anything about the woman who left Casey and I on our own, but it was the only possible decision.

  "Tennessee. 9320 Marshwater Dr. Lynchburg, Tennessee. I don't know the zip code, however."

 I quickly reached over to the chestnut dresser and pulled out paper and a pen, writing down the information. Only a state away, what luck!

"How do you know that?"

"She calls me once a week." Grandma Charlie said, sighing in defeat.

"What?! Why?" I tried to reign in my anger, and failed- feeling the rage simmer under my skin.

"She wants to know about you and your sister." Me-maw replied, sounding ashamed and tired.

"Then why did she leave? She never visited or called or anything."

"Sweetie, she wanted to visit, but your father never allowed it. She called on your birthdays but, your dad probably never told you that- huh? She sent you money in Christmas card and birthday cards. You never received those either, hmm?"

  I was shell-shocked. I didn't want to believe it, but at that same time.. I remember someone calling every year on my birthday- the one day I was guaranteed not to get a beating. I felt a rush as a memory came to forefront of my mind. One year, I had just turned fifteen, I tried to answer the phone and our father got so hard he slapped me. So much for not getting a beating. He then unplugged the phone to stop the incessant shrill chime.

 "I...why did she leave though? I don't understand.." I trailed off. Cain tightened his hold on my hand.

  "Your mother was in love with someone else, you see. She tried to divorce your father, but before their court date- her lover swept her away to Tennessee to live happily ever after. She returned later that year, but your father carefully crafted the dates around the times when you and Casey would be home. He was quite conniving.

 "Your mother fought for custody, but since she no longer lived in the state, the judge denied permission. He 'didn't want to uproot children who were already settled and happy'. So, she left. She was supposed to have visitation rights but as I mentioned before, Your father was a sneaky one."

I took all this information in, trying to keep myself upright as to not fall over with the giant tilt my world just made.

"She loves you both very much you know. She tried, Katerina, very hard." Grandma said, her voice very soft and gentle.

   She loved us. She loves us. She loves you. She tried to save you. But, couldn't. My brain's thought process was on repeat for a few minutes.

"So, this mystery guy came and swept mom off her feet? What did he have that our old dad didn't?" I wanted to know who made my mom want to leave a beautifully crafted family.

Grandma Charlie laughed in a way that made me feel stupid.

"Oh no, honey. Your mom fell in love with a woman."