Chapter 3

Woo! I'm on What's Hot!!! It might be #402 but, it's better than nothing, right? Thank you all sooo much!

Vote, Fan, Comment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I ignored Cain all Thursday and Friday. Every time he tried to talk to me I would mumble something or just walk away. Here I am now, walking across the courtyard on my way to pick up Casey. Her and Jake seemed to be getting along pretty well, though she assures me that our secret is safe. A hand gripped my arm and yanked me away from my thoughts. I looked up from under my dark hood into the face I've been avoiding for two days. "Cain," I whispered. His green eyes penetrated mine. "Look Katerina," I flinched at my full name. "I'm sorry about being so pushy but, your being really sneaky and I'm just worried okay? It seems like I've known you for longer than just 5 days."

He dropped his arm and and looked down. "You can leave now." He whispered. I pulled my sleeve back and wrapped my fingers around his cheek. He looked up and I smiled warmly. "No. I'll never leave." He eyes brightened and he smiled back. "What color are your eyes?" He asked abruptly. I dropped my hand, still smiling. "Their gray." He smiled wider, "I bet their pretty."

He sighed longingly. I giggled and began to walk to Cambridge. "Hey? Want a ride?" He shouted behind me. Many people stopped and stared. I sighed. "Sure." As we walked to his car, I pondered my thoughts. Was it not 2 days ago that I swore I couldn't get close to Cain Masters? But, sometimes rules have to be broken. I looked at his smiling face and was positive. Some rules have to be broken. When we arrived at Cambridge, Casey was standing and talking with Jake, per usual.

She laughed at something he said and I smiled. I missed her laugh like she missed mine. "You know what Cain?" He turned to face me. "What?" I smiled as happily as I could. "If all goes well, then maybe.. I won't wear my hood on Monday." He looked so excited, I laughed. "Good." He said, and I rolled down my window. "Hey Lovebirds! Get in the car." Casey's cheeks burned bright and Jake just smirked. They hopped in and soon enough Cain pulled around our corner.

Casey was in the back laughing with Jake and I was looking to our house. Then my heart stopped and my whole body got cold. "C-Casey." I stuttered. She turned still smiling, until she saw our house. The smile wiped right off her face. Her face paled like mine had, she looked sick. "Kat are you okay?" Cain asked at the same time Jake asked Casey. We both forced a smile, though I'm sure the boys knew they were fake. "Hey look Case, Dad's home." I said, forcing the fear from my voice. "Y-yeah." Her eyes filled with tears though. Jake immediately put an arm around Casey, murmuring soothing things.

"I'm fine." She protested, sliding away from him. Jake looked hurt, his dark green eyes sad. She shot him a warm smile and he cheered up a bit. The car pulled to the side of the road, a few hundred feet from our house. "Thanks guys." Me and Casey said at the same time. I hopped out, her right behind me. We both took a deep breath and started shuffling towards the house. She grabbed my hand as we got closer. I squeezed it in a reassuring way. I tossed a glance back and saw both boys staring from the front seat with looks of confusion. I sighed and told Casey to throw them a smile. She did and for a second even I believed nothing was wrong. Jake smiled at her uneasily. I turned back around and heard their engine rev, I pulled Casey behind me before creaking open the door.

The sunlight glinted off Cain's car as they sped past. That was the last thing I saw before I shut the door, keeping us away from the outside world. "And Where Have you been?!?" His yell reached my ears before I saw him. His dull brown eyes angry, brown hair receding. It was slightly slurred, we knew he had been drinking. "School." I replied, trying to keep my voice from shaking. "Who was that?!" He demanded, gesturing to the window.