Intimacy

Each moment I stand here, the more my nerves build up, my fingers clenching the fabric of my sleeves, my gut sucked in as I find myself completely tense in this moment. My heels tap frantically against the carpet of the car, Beta William driving closer to the very place I never thought I would see in person, the village before the main entrance seeming completely abandoned as the luxurious brownstone townhouses are locked up and not a light on in the windows as weeds grow outside the homes.

Taking in a deep breath, I look ahead once more, the lake surrounding the building almost frozen over, a vast emptiness behind the frozen lake as the forest surrounding the lake has begun to die. Many of the trees like like they were knocked over by something large, many holes seeming to form in the opening of the dying forest.

It reminds me of a scene from a fantasy movie, for the dark clouds which loom over the broken white-stone walls create a sense of hopelessness. The bridge which leads up to the castle itself is not wide enough for two cars, half of it having fallen as I notice parts of the stone bridge sticking out from the frozen lake. Beta William drives carefully over the narrow bridge, acknowledging the sense of loss as we approach, as if memories are brought back for him. He was here when it all went down, when he saw the flames consume this palace with my mother inside. Where the front gate of the palace should be for the courtyard, there lies an opening in the brick wall, stones overturned and fallen onto the ground as there is hardly any protection left to this structure. Beta William drives into the courtyard, parking our car beside another black sedan as I glance over to the front doors of the palace. The stairs leading up are scorched black, reflecting the effects of the fire from decades ago, the front doors of the palace no more as one side of the grand door has fallen onto the stairs and the other is smashed into a million pieces.

Helping me out of the car, Beta William warns me to be careful with my shoes, telling me there are many things I could trip over. The black A-line skirt and dark green blouse I wear are protected by a thick layer of my black wool coat which hits just above my knees, my black tights sheer as they provide minimal warmth. Adjusting the pearl necklace around my neck, I swallow the lump in my throat and push a loose strand of hair behind my shoulder. I look the part of an Alpha for this meeting, wearing formal attire and heels which pinch my toes, but I wonder if looking the part will help me feel the part.

Beta William wishes me well as he sees me off, my feet carrying me towards the front stairs as I look back to the cars parked in the courtyard. Four sedans and two SUVs, each with a distinct license plate as I know Alpha River has not arrived just yet, but Alpha Edward is already here. No doubt I will be hearing some words from him.

Looking ahead, I head for the front entrance, the marble floor beneath my feet cracked and ash covering large portions of the floor. I look above to the ceiling, the pastel colors barely visible as much of the ceiling has cracked or fallen off, leaving behind the bare stone of the next floor level. Statues of the past kings lie on either side of the front hallway, many of the statues broken as a few are missing their heads or limps. Ahead of me is a massive opening to the throne room, where a window once was is now where the cold air blows through, broken glass laying before the throne broken in two. The steps leading up to the throne are covered in ash, one portion of the throne laying on the ground below while the other is just barely intact.

This is the room where my mother died.

My chest swells as I try and concentrate on my breathing patterns, trying to calm myself down as I stop in my steps, eyes feeling stressed as they cannot seem to concentrate on one object. I can barely hear it as someone calls out the name Quinn and Terrance gave me, their voices muffled as I try and calm down, to relax and remind myself that I will be okay.

I feel a pair of hands on my body, trying to shake me as I hold back the tears and bite my lip. Just as I feel a harsh sting to my face, I find myself able to readjust and focus on my past Alpha looking at me with worry on his face. "Sorry about that. You okay?" Alpha Edward asks, helping me down to a marble column which lays on the floor. Taking a seat, Alpha Edward tries to help me calm down, asking if I need water or some food.