Heavy in Your Arms

I watch from afar, eyes scanning as I notice how his muscles contort, shifting under his shirt as he picks up the large wooden beam, leaning it against the wall as he pushing it up with the help of another familiar face. I notice the sweat begin to trickle down the side of his face, eyes blinking to keep it from running into his eyes, wiping away the sweat as he releases the wooden beam from his hands and observes the work he has done so far in the past few hours.

From afar it may just seem like simple manual labor as he helps rebuild portions of the pack house which burned down in the attack, helping to replace the walls and build back up the bricks. From afar, it is a simple good deed as he helps those offering him sanctuary, but I know what River is up to. Anyone playing the game of politics can see what River is up to her - trying to win over the hearts of Crimson Lock, to make a friend of my pack more than just an ally. He knows that without a pack and with the possible future of me on a throne, it would be easier to gain favor as someone with political/royal power if he had a friend in Crimson Lock.

As River steps back from the wall and allows a pack member of mine through the hallway, I watch the pack member greet River with a smile, asking about his day as they make small conversation. Within the past few days I have watched as River reaches out to those within my pack, taking the last conversation we had about what we were to one another as a signal to do this. Though we have continues to keep our relationship under wraps, to only talk privately, and never bring up what transpired within the woods, I know we cannot continue like this. What we have between us will only continue to grow and River knows it too. River knows it and is building a cornerstone for when people find out and to assure himself that members of my pack will not come after him.

Yet as for now I cannot just stand here like some stalker watching River working from afar. I have matters to deal with. Matters which consist of Alpha Finley as well as Alpha Emmitt. Alpha Finley will be here within a matter of hours to hand over to me an official and signed copy of the deal we made for the government which will enter in with my reign. Alpha Emmitt will be here within the end of the day after these past few weeks having rebuilt the safety of his pack, that meeting being one including River as well.

No matter how many meetings I will have, one looming decision hangs over my head today and perhaps even tomorrow - Alpha Penelope's fate. With her troops pushing South by ten miles into our territory, a decision must be made. A decision on if we should attack now or wait longer. Though everyone knows waiting longer gives Penelope a longer time to create a plot and deal out her acts.

Taking in a deep breath, I step away, walking out of the pack house and back to my car as I tell Brie I am ready to head back to my home. "River is making a nice addition to Crimson Lock."

"He is trying to make his presence accepted," I comment, sliding into the passenger seat as Brie starts the engine. "Because of what I told him..."

"Is there anything wrong with him trying to make a name for himself? To try and befriend the members of Crimson Lock?"

"No," I reply, looking out the window as we drive off. "I understand why he is trying, for he understands making friends with my pack will ease his transition. But there are other reasons too, reasons which deal with power within a royal scope."

"He wants to be with you." I nod, looking to the cornflower blue eyes of Brie. "The first time I heard him speak your name, I knew what you meant to him. He has been looking out for you since the night you two met." A rush of blood runs across my cheeks. "He understands how politics will play when it comes to your royal title and he understands what will happen when you begin dating."

"He thinks befriending subjects and creating a good reputation will make it easier for when we will perhaps eventually come out to the people of my future kingdom as a couple."