Atonement

The moments which had come to pass were mixed with contradicting emotions - joy, fear, emotional passion, and sadness. In those moments, as those golden speckled eyes had slowly opened and River had taken in the situation around him, it was in that time I found myself both at peace and at war with myself. I was beyond pleased to see those eyes staring back at me, his voice steady, and his presence filling a room once more. Yet I was also blaming myself for the headaches which resounded, the nausea which followed, and the signs of weakness within River which let me know waking him up right then did not give him enough time. 

Yet I know what I had to do. I knew waking River up too soon could take such a toll on him physically and mentally...but I also knew that River's life is not the only one on the line due to this war. No - so many have died already, many more will die and I have to accept that. The decision which I had made was done for the best interests of all those who fight under the flag of Crimson Lock. 

Taking in a deep breath, I remind myself to remain steady, placing one foot before the other as I enter into the room, voices surrounding me as I notice River sitting up in his bed. Declan and Brie are closest to him, discussing how he feels and what must be done now. Sliding into the room further, I take my seat before the fireplace, looking across to Yusuf as he sits waiting for the voices to die down before he speaks up. A crowd of mages has formed around River, followed by the pack doctor. Cedric comes up to me, standing beside my chair as he acknowledges Alpha Yusuf. 

"It will be a bit before you can have some time with him alone," Cedric informs, motioning to the swarm of people around River with hushed voices. 

"I already had some alone time," I confess, recalling the moment those golden eyes shot open and gazed into my own. Those eyes looking at me as if they had heard every word I had spoken to Declan in what was a private discussion. We shared a split second of what felt like an eternity before a brief illness overtook River. The moment he had washed his mouth from the vomit and returned to his bed with the help of Declan, we shared a few words before a swarm of mages filled the room and I escorted myself out. "He said it felt like an eternity within that mind of his." 

"Do you think he is ready to fight?" Yusuf asks, his voice hushed as he leans forward. I glance over Yusuf's shoulder to get a short look at River. Skin pale and eyes bloodshot, I know he is not in the best shape he could be in, but he will be able to fight. The question should not be if he is ready to fight, for any man should be able to when faced with death. 

I look back to Yusuf, offering a slight nod to his question. "He will be able to fight, but he will not be his best." 

"As long as his mind is still sharp. That is what we need him for anyway - his ability to navigate that hellhole," Cedric mutters, referring to the battle we are to playout in the palace. Cedric is right, for we really need River to help lead our men in those palace walls, but we would be fools if we did not think River would not be expected to fight. Elves are the enemy and when they see River, they will come for him. Asger will come for River no doubt if not for me first...if I have not found him first. Keva will come for River though and that I am certain of. 

The blood of my grandmother has tainted Asger's hands and I wish to finish off the very elf who went after the woman who could do no harm. Elder Oliver was foolish to make such allies. 

I shake my mind of such names, focusing on the present as I watch River stand up from the bed and continue to talk with Brie and Declan. Artifact locations. Their conversation here is to clarify locations of magical artifacts where portals could be placed. I watch as the mages around Declan methodically write down their notations on paper, noting every word River slips from his tongue. 

Those eyes catch mine for a second and I glance away. "I take it the other alphas will be expecting a meeting soon. At least once the mages gather the locations."