035 Alex in the middle

Finally, the election was over.

We were all tired of it. So I won't explain it anymore.

Everything was back to normal for a few days.

But then, one night, everything changed.

I was peacefully sleeping when suddenly dad started running around. I got scared and woke up. Aunt and mom were awake and they were calling someone on the phone. I slowly got down from the bed and made my way into the hall.

"Go... Everything is ready." Aunt urged dad while picking me up from the floor.

"Alex... baby... Please behave. okay?" Mom begged me.

"He will behave. What do I do about him?" Dad pointed at the car.

Only then did I see Doodu. He was sitting in the backseat of the car and clearly, he had no intention of getting out.

"Doodu! If you come, then who is going to keep an eye on Anu?" Mom asked.

Dad slowly helped mom to the car. He had a bag in his other hand. Slowly, I realized what was happening.

"For once, can you do it during the day?" Dad complained.

Mom glared at dad and dad went silent.

Mom was just a bit more than nine months pregnant. It was a bit early. But she was feeling the pain already. So dad and mom were going to the hospital. Dad was well prepared for this. He had packed all the necessary stuff a week ago. So there was no confusion at the moment. Aunt decided to stay behind as there were too many kids to be taken care of at home. Also, since they were going to Lakshmi aunty's hospital, there was no need for extra people. They already contacted Lakshmi aunty and she was making arrangements.

"Come. Let's go before Anu wakes up." Aunt lead Doodu inside the house. I wasn't worried about Anu waking up. This level of noise was not enough to disturb her. Only nightmares could wake her up. After making sure Anu was asleep, aunty tried to make me sleep.

This was the third pregnancy for mom. So they were no longer nervous. They were actually excited. But that wasn't applicable to me. I was nervous and I couldn't sleep a bit. Do you know what's worse?

It was only 1 AM.

So I had a sleepless night. The whole night, I waited for a call from dad. But he didn't call. It was a really long night.

Finally, in the morning, we got the call.

Mom gave birth. But dad denied telling anything more. He said everything was perfect and he got a surprise for us. Aunty asked multiple times. But he still kept it a mystery.

Aunty sent her eldest to the school. The youngest was taken to a nanny. She prepared breakfast for Anu and also fed me. While looking for a cloth for me, she found an old baby frock of Anu. She thought it was cute and put it on me. I didn't mind it. Because I was already used to wearing her old clothes. Once see finished all the chores, she took us to the hospital.

I was excited and sad at the same time.

I used to be mom's youngest child. I also got special consideration and all her milk. But not anymore.

Now onwards, I would be a middle child as I have a younger sibling. Even the milk will get shared. Eldest is mom's favourite. Youngest will get all the care. But the middle child would usually get ignored. Now, I had become the middle child.

At the same time, I was excited by the thought of having a little one to follow me around just like I follow Anu. It was totally worth being a middle child.