025 Damsel in distress

Yesterday, we went out and did a lot of shopping. At first, everyone was happy. But soon things started going bad.

Dad bought a toy bow and arrow for Anu and a bone-shaped toy for Doodu. The arrows had soft rubber tips. Anu happily shot at the wall and leaves for some time. But soon, she lost interest in immovable targets.

Naturally, Doodu became her next target. The rubber tip of the arrows didn't cause any injury. But it was still painful. So Doodu ran to mom and hid behind her. He was also vehemently complaining to mom. Mom got angry. She took away the toys from Anu for a day as a punishment.

That's when the trouble began.

Anu came to our bedroom and started sulking.

I was in the cradle. Mom stopped keeping me on the bed and started putting me in the cradle. I knew this would happen the moment I started rolling. That was one reason I didn't want to roll.

"Mom does not love me anymore. She always sides with Doodu." She complained to me leaning on the cradle.

I wanted to correct her. But decided not to. Talking too much wasn't a good idea. If my mother happens to see me talking, she might call an exorcist.

"Woo Woo..." Doodu came in. He had trouble talking. Because he was biting his bone toy.

He came in dramatically with his head held high and with a rhythmic gait. He was clearly showing off his bone toy to Anu.

Then he got on the bed and started chewing on the toy with a smug look on his face.

"I want to bite it." Immediately Anu started another fight with Doodu.

"Woof woof..."

"My father bought it. So I can also play with it."

"Wuu Woof..."

"No. Humans also bite bones. Just watch."

Both the stupids started arguing. I sighed helplessly. Long since I had given up on mediating between them. 

"Hihihi..." Suddenly, I heard a giggle.

I looked to the source of the sound.

There was a teenage girl right beside us!

I never saw her coming in. She had a bright smile on her face and she was wearing a bright red dress with white dots on it. She looked about 16-17 years old.

"Whoo aa oo?" (Who are you) Anu, who was biting one end of the bone-shaped toy asked.

"I am a Yakshi. I will be haunting this house from today onwards." The young girl declared confidently. For those who don't know, yakshi means a typical female ghost in the local language.

"Liar..." Anu ignored the girl and returned to the fight with Doodu.

"Do you really think I am lying?" The girl asked with a mischievous smile as she flew through the air and floated in front of Anu.

A shiver ran through my body.

'Flying? It's real! A real ghost. Should I scream? No... That might alert her and force her to take drastic measures. I must act dumb and get help secretly.' I made a quick judgement. I have no idea how I was able to make such a rational decision in that situation.

"WOOFF... WOOFF..." Doodu jumped between Anu and the ghost and started yapping. Clearly, the instincts of the animal were better at sensing danger.

"Yes. You are lying. Can you not disturb? I have a bone to pick with this arrogant dog."[1] Anu completely disregarded the ghost and returned to fighting with Doodu.