036 Werehuman

It took me about ten minutes to calm down. By then mom had also calmed down. She made many promises to me in that short period of time. But I didn't hear any of that.

"Stop apologizing. He is just acting according to your emotions. If you smile, he will also smile." Lakshmi aunty said.

I didn't know when she came. She was not there when I started crying. When I stopped crying, she was standing beside us. She was wearing a beautiful saree and had a bit of sandalwood paste on her forehead. She wore no makeup and had a thin necklace. There was a refreshing smile on her face. In simple words, she was a traditional beauty that could steal the heart of any boy from our state. So you cannot blame me for having a crush on her.

"Did you go to the temple?" Dad asked.

"Yes. I had promised special prayers for smooth delivery and health of the mother and child." She replied as she fed the offering from the temple to mom She gave a bit to Anu as well. So I demanded it and got a tiny bit. I wanted more. But she didn't give as I was a baby.

Lakshmi aunty had come to the hospital in the night. In the morning, once the babies were out, she went home and to the temple. It was a family temple owned by her family.

"Are you sure you promised one prayer and not 'twin' prayer?" Dad asked sarcastically.

"Don't blame it on me. I had given you all the reports and I also told you that both of them were doing fine. Didn't you even look at the reports? Those were reports for two babies." Lakshmi aunty argued.

"We thought you and your reports were referring to the mother and baby. Not two babies. I wouldn't have asked for your help if I could understand all the reports perfectly." Dad retorted.

So that's what happened.

Lakshmi aunty always said that both of them are in perfect health. When she said 'both', she was referring to two kids. But my parents thought she was referring to mom and one child. Because of this small misunderstanding, we got a pleasant surprise.

"Then ask some other doctor from now onwards. Also, if you don't want the extra baby, give it to me. I don't have one anyway." Lakshmi aunty replied with a dark face. She was angry.

"Are psychiatrists real doctors?" Anu interfered. She had noticed that Lakshmi aunty had referred to herself as a doctor.

Lakshmi aunty's face twitched. Anu had asked the same question about six months ago. Then also Lakshmi aunty was angry. That time, Anu blamed it on Doodu.

"Anitha, her id is 20150215012. See if she got the booster injections at 5 years old. If not, give it." Lakshmi aunty ordered the nurse.

The nurse waited a few seconds to see if she was joking. But seeing that Lakshmi aunty was not joking, she wrote down the id and went to check it. The nurse was arranged by Lakshmi aunty to help mom and dad. Lakshmi aunty was feeling bad for not being able to secure a private room for us.

"No..no... I got all the injections. I don't want it anymore." Anu was scared and wanted to escape. Poor girl. She chose the wrong day to annoy Lakshmy aunty and now she is going to suffer for it.

I was a bit surprised that she had memorized Anu's id. But it wasn't that weird considering that we visited only this hospital and Lakshmi aunty was always taking care of us.

"How did you know it was his birthday?" Once the attention was Anu, mom asked her.

We all looked at her for an answer. The little girl doesn't even know which year it was. So there was no way she would remember my birthday.