Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Ha!  So you did become ill," Todd commented with a triumphant tone while looking at the vomit beside what was left of his father's gruesome body.  "I had a feeling you would, but I must say it is quite nasty."

He spoke as if she were right in front of him, yet he wasn't even in the same room.  Kate slid against the wall and shivered.  Oh, how she wished there was a way out!  She was beyond terrified by this point.  In fact, she felt as if she was on the verge of going insane.  Todd was just so impulsive and surprising, she never knew what he would do next.

She heard him moving again, and this time it was towards the exact room she was in.  Kate's heart sank.  I don't want to die...

Todd made a left turn and walked through a doorway into the empty spare bedroom.  And voila!  There his lovely Katie stood hovering against the wall.  "Well, have you learned your lesson?" he asked.

His voice was stern and Kate felt herself nod.  She supposed it was her intense fear that was leading her to submission.  I don't want him to keep me locked down here.  

He nodded, too, mimicking her.  After studying her for a moment to make sure she wasn't trying to deceive him, he said, "That's my good girl."  Displaying a warm smile for the first time, he continued, "There's no reason to fear me, Katie.  You're being good now.  As long as you're good I won't hurt you."  He held out his hand.  "Now, let's go upstairs.  We can drink wine in the den and discuss my wonderful plans."  

He curled his fingers, motioning her forward, and Kate obliged tentatively.

"That's a good girl," he cooed.  Her fingers slowly slid into his.  Todd brought her hand up to his lips.  "You're so beautiful..."

She could only look down at the floor with expressionless eyes.  Is this it, then?  Am I already giving up?  

-------

Beth Watson reached for her cell phone and dialed her daughter's number.  She put the phone to her ear with a comfortable smile and listened to the rings on the other end.  It was 10:30pm, meaning Kate was off work.

Three and a half rings later, Kate's voice mail began and then there was a beep.  Beth frowned a little.  "Hi honey, it's Mom.  Just calling for our regular nightly talk.  Call me back."  She ended the call and placed her phone on the counter.

David Watson, Kate's father, entered the kitchen where his wife was.  "No answer?"

"Maybe she's still working," Beth said with a shrug.  "She's been telling us how weak Nathan's getting.  I'm sure this is just the beginning of her working late nights."

David nodded with a slight sigh of disapproval.  "I wish she wouldn't be out so late.  It isn't safe."  

There daughter's job caring for an elderly man was heartfelt and sweet, but neither Beth nor David really approved.  They wanted better for her.  They felt Kate was just too bright to resort to being a mere caretaker.  She should be in college living up to her abundant potential.  With the economy like it was, they were worried about her low income.  Not to mention their concern with her lack of a social life...

Kate never hung out with friends and she didn't go on dates.  Quite frankly, her parents felt she didn't make time for herself anymore, and that was unhealthy.

They'd mentioned this to her countless times, but she never listened.  Kate was stubborn.  She said she was happy and felt more independent than she ever had.  She loved that she was now living alone in an apartment supporting herself.