Chapter 22

Chapter 22

"You messed with the wrong person, you stubborn bitch!" Todd Delozier was furious as he squeezed Kate's wrists above her head while laying on top of her weak body.

"P- Please don't do this," Kate squeeked. She tried to wiggle away from his suffocating body, but all that did was make him squeeze her wrists tighter. "You're hurting me!"

"Yeah? Well, that's the whole point!" He grinned as her fear increased. "It'll be my pleasure to break you, my dear." The real torture was just beginning.

-- 

Todd remembered that specific time he raped her, as well as every other time before then. It had felt so good, so right, each time. After getting her drunk off wine, after the first gas station incident when she'd tried to escape him, after she saw his dead father's head..

To take her against her will one more time would be so pleasing...

Unfortunately, that wish would never come true. In fact, that wish would be his final one. His thoughts were fading fast.

Todd lay in a puddle of his own blood. His breaths were coming out in sputtering gasps as he stared up at the sky thinking of nothing but her.

Kate, however, wasn't near him anymore. She'd run to her parents the moment the bullet hit his back and he fell to the ground.

Funny how he could feel jealousy towards her parents in his final moments...

------- 

Chad Thompson was taking some deep breaths while lowering his gun. It seemed Todd Delozier would not be able to retaliate this time.

He watched as swarms of policemen and FBI agents approached his body.

He'd finally succeeded in killing the man who had murdered so many.

And the girl, Kate Watson, was now safe, he noticed as he watched the beautiful scene in the distance of her parents welcoming her back.

But Chad's face took on a solemn expression as he thought about Kate. He couldn't imagine what she'd been through with that monster...

He wondered, Will she ever heal?

------- 

Kate was shaking uncontrollably as her parents embraced her. She should have been feeling safe and warm by now, but her thoughts were still on the scene behind her. Is it really.. over? Did I actually survive it?

She honestly hadn't thought she would live through this.

I nearly came to accept my fate. He was going to kill me, I knew he was. But then... He'd been outsmarted. Shouldn't I be basking in joy?

But it doesn't feel real. It feels like he'll jump up any second and take down everybody here.

She shuddered and winced.

"Kate, sweetheart?" Beth asked nervously.

Her mother's face was directly in front of her own. Kate blinked and tried to focus.

"It's ok, Kate. You're safe. You're safe," David assured her.

Her father's face was there, too.

The 'good guys'. They were here now, just as she'd prayed they would be numerous times before. "B-.. But..." Kate looked around, still unable to accept reality. 

There were people everywhere. Her eyes met with the enormous crowd behind her. That's where Todd is... Oh.. God....

Kate's shaking came to a sudden stop as her mouth dropped open slightly. Am I really, actually safe? 

She turned to her parents again, finally seeing them clearly. "Mom..? Dad..?"

"We're here, honey," her mother whispered soothingly.

Beth was about to reach out to her daughter again when she noticed the first signs of tears in her eyes. "That's right, you're safe, baby, you're safe." She held Kate's head against her.

Kate knew she had to hold it together. The scared, wounded tears of realization were threatening to spill from her eyes, but she didn't think they would ever stop if she allowed them to start. She felt her mother stroking her hair. I didn't think I would feel this again.

To feel such tenderness... Kate had thought she would never be near real, sane love again. But here she was, with her parents, away from the psychopath. And she would never have to be near him again, because he wasn't here anymore.

Todd's dead. He's actually dead.

And I'm safe. I'm actually safe.

------- 

There's still more to come. Chad asks a good question- Will Kate ever heal?

Stay tuned.

I can't exclaim this enough- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING THIS STORY!!! 

-Lauren