Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Do you remember the first time we met, Katie?"

Todd had a hold of Kate's hand as they walked past numerous trees, their feet crunching against leaves and brush along the way. They were making their own trails so as not to pass people, and they were trying to make good time while they still had sunlight.

Kate didn't answer his question quickly enough. "Tell me, do you remember?" he asked again.

"It was... at the restaurant I used to work at."

"Yes, that's right. Very good, Katie. You were a waitress and I was your customer." He chuckled then. "Do you remember the first words we exchanged?"

Kate shook her head wearily. "No." Why was he attempting to make conversation? After what had happened at the gas station, the last thing she wanted was to participate in casual small talk. All Kate really wanted was to sleep...forever.

"Aw, that's too bad... You said 'good evening' and welcomed me to the restaurant, and I said 'it's a good evening now.' You really don't remember that? Me flirting with you?"

They were walking uphill now as Kate thought about his question. Honestly, she didn't remember. Maybe he was lying? Or maybe he was telling the truth, which would only show how stupid she really was. If she had only been smarter back then, she could have caught onto his infatuation and stopped all contact before it even really started. Instead, she'd failed to notice anything out of the ordinary and had naively agreed to work for him.

Oh, such regret... Kate would never be able to forgive herself.

They were both quiet as they finished climbing the hill. Once at the top, however, Todd began talking again in between shallow breaths. "Well, anyway, that was the start of it all. Even if you don't remember... Although, I believe you do deep down. I believe you know deep down that you belong to me." He looked over at her with intensity in his eyes and demanded, "Don't you, Katie?"

That's when Kate stopped walking. Her brow furrowed in concentration as she stared at a nearby tree. 

For once, Todd didn't interrupt.

After about a minute, she finally looked up into his eyes. He was standing across from her watching intently.

There was so much to Todd Delozier... He was a complex man. Kate had defied him multiple times, and yet she was still standing. She was still alive. At times, when she thought he would surely do away with her, he didn't. Todd would punish her, oh yes, but it was only to make her understand. It was only to make her see the wrong choices she had made.

I should thank him, Kate suddenly thought. I should be grateful for what he's done for me. He loves me so much... 

But no, another part of her stepped in. Wait! Kate, what are you thinking? He's killed multiple people, he's raped you multiple times, he's physically abused you. How could you possibly 'thank' him for that? 

Kate's mind was battling. A war had begun. She couldn't see straight. Part of her was ready to give in while another part still held hope. The hope was wearing thin, though. 

Stop fighting, Katie...

Don't use that name on yourself! That's not your name. 

But it is...

N- no it isn't.

You're his Katie. You always have been.

But-

You're lucky, Katie. Lucky. 

Todd was studying her from his distance. She was a still doll. And she was obviously conflicted. But Todd wanted her to figure this out on her own. 

He didn't have to wait long.

"I am," Kate suddenly said, looking at him clearly.

Searching her eyes, Todd asked, "You are?"

"I am yours. I'm your Katie."

------- 

Chad Thompson got out of his car and approached the scene before him. Numerous cops and investigators were standing around a large object.

That object was an abandoned car.

------- 

Stockholm Syndrome? Perhaps ;-) 

There's more to come! Stay tuned...

-Lauren