Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"One..." There was a pause, a threatening pause.. It held for about thirty seconds, the voice seeming expectant. "If you don't do as I say before I get to three, you will be in very real trouble."

It was the voice of Todd Delozier, and it seemed almost sinister.

"Two..." There was another long pause.

Kate didn't know what to do. Even if she wanted obey, she couldn't. Because, wherever the two of them were, it was too dark to see anything...

She suddenly felt a finger on her cheek, stroking it lightly. "Three." And he slapped her hard across the face.

--

Kate awoke with a start, her hand flying upward to feel her cheek. The darkness around her caused her heart to pound relentlessly and she hurriedly flicked the switch on her bedside table lamp to lighten the room. Her eyes darted every which way fearing she might see Todd Delozier.

No one was there, and she breathed a sigh of relief. "Whoa," she finally whispered. "Calm down, Kate. It was just a dream.." Perhaps part of her mind did know that deep down, but a bigger part was still remembering the realness of it.

She glanced at the clock on her bedside table and found it to be 3:35 am. It's too early to get up, she thought, knowing she had a long day ahead of her with dear old Nathan.

But that was just it. She would be in his house. All day. And after a dream like that, it seemed dangerous to do such a thing...

"Enough," she said aloud, firmly. Getting up, Kate made her way to the kitchen. Eating some cereal might be comforting. It didn't take long to get to her kitchen while turning every light on in the process, for her apartment was very small.

She sat pondering over her dream while sitting in the little den of her apartment eating cereal. The television was on in the background in hopes of serving as some sort of distraction. Of course, though, it wasn't helping.

Well, analyzing the dream further, it didn't seem too odd to have. Todd had been so rude to her only a short time ago and it was still fresh on her mind. The whole situation had affected her so thoroughly that it seemed silly to even be questioning why he'd been the center focus of her dream.

But it hadn't been a dream.. it was a nightmare. He'd threatened her and hurt her in it. Over what, she didn't know. But it was definitely scary.

It didn't help that Kate lived alone. Living by herself was still very new to her, as she'd only moved in a little over a month ago. She'd finally saved enough money to rent her own place, so it seemed only right that she shouldn't mooch off her parents anymore. In fact, they were very nice to let her stay under their roof rent-free as long as they did. All of her friends lived on their own and, being that she was 25, it was definitely her turn.

Making sure her alarm was set for 7:00 am, Kate put her empty cereal bowl aside and laid down. She felt better after reasoning through and rationalizing the dream. Everything was fine. What she needed was to stay focused on the day ahead. Nathan needed her full attention, and that was all that really mattered.

Kate let her eyes close and soon fell asleep, making sure to keep the lights on.

-------

Todd Delozier drove through a very 'rough looking' apartment complex, frowning disapprovingly. He didn't care if the rent was cheap, this was no place for his lovely Kate to be living.

Maybe it was 3:30 in the morning, which would make any place seem at least a little shady, but even at 3:30 in the afternoon it was unacceptable.

Why she'd chosen this as her new residence six weeks before still baffled him. What was she thinking?

He would be so relieved once she was under his roof, protected.

Todd made it to Kate's apartment. He stopped his car in front of it and proceeded to gaze at the front door.

All in due time, he thought smirking.

-------

As usual, Kate walked towards the side door of the Delozier house quietly at 8:00 am on the dot. She was definitely feeling the effects of her rude awakening from earlier.

But no matter, she had her travel mug of coffee and was ready to face the day.

What she wasn't ready to face was Todd as soon as she entered the house...

"Good morning, Kate," he greeted rather cheerily.

She stopped mid-step, her eyes widening in surprise. "H- hi," she stuttered, her mind unintentionally returning to her dream. She blinked to make it stop. What the heck is he doing greeting me? It was the first time this had happened since her first day on the job two years ago. And do I sense... friendliness?

"I wanted to apologize for my rudeness last night," he said, getting right to the point. "I was completely out of line. I suppose it was because I felt you didn't think I could handle getting my father to bed properly. And, if that was what you were thinking, then I have to admit that you were right. I did a terrible job."

Kate was shocked as she took in all he was saying. He was talking to her more than he ever had, and what he was saying was civil.. even kind. "It's ok," she murmured automatically.

"No, it really isn't," Todd contradicted calmly. "It was inexcusable." He studied her for a moment. "But, I can tell I have surprised you. Here, I'll let you.. do your thing." After an awkward pause, he walked away.

Raising one eyebrow, Kate stood motionless. Weird. That was weird, plain and simple.

She finally shook her head and turned to walk to Nathan's bedroom. I can't let myself linger on it. I have work to do.

-------

When he got to his office and shut the door, Todd let out the chuckle that had been threatening to spill over.

He'd surprised her, and the feeling within him was exhilarating.

I will have to do that more often. He chuckled some more, excitement for the future coursing through his veins.

-------

Sorry it's taken so long for an update! I've been busy with school.. I'm sure at least some of you can relate :-)

Thanks for the reviews for the first chapter! They were really encouraging.

Until next time (which I hope will be really soon).

-Lauren