Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Kate stood shaking while helplessly looking at the closed door in front of her.  Her eyes slowly adjusted to the almost complete darkness, and then they located the doorknob.  She already knew what the answer would be but reached out to try the knob anyway.  It was locked, of course.  Her hand dropped to her side.

This was beyond bad...

It was a nightmare!  Or so she wished.  Kate desperately wished this entire ordeal were nothing but a harmless dream.  

But it wasn't.  This was very real.  I've been kidnapped by a psychopath.  

He'd already hurt her, too.  Who knew what else he would eventually do.  She shivered involuntarily at the unwelcome thought.

Part of her wanted to yell, scream, and kick at the door, but another part didn't dare.  If Todd were to come back, who knew what would happen?  Kate had her suspicions of what would occur, and that's why she didn't want to gain his attention.  Being here is better than being near him.

I guess I should-...  She slowly turned around to face the stairs.

'You can see what I did with it!'  Kate gulped remembering what Todd had told her.  Nathan's body is down there.  The thought was repulsive and terrifying.  Maybe I should just stay up here.  She wasn't at all interested in seeing what other sick, twisted things her kidnapper might have done to his own father.

She turned around again to face the door.  I'll just wait.  Yeah.  I don't really want to see his body, no matter what Todd thinks.  

Something crossed her mind then.  What if there's an escape down there, though?  

She glanced behind her again.  What if my freedom is right down those steps?  She had a feeling Todd wouldn't be so careless, but then again...  He'd been angry and crazy-acting when he locked her in here.  What if he hadn't thought things through?

It was either wait until Todd decided to let her out and do God knows what to her, or go downstairs and look for a door or window to break out of.  She easily decided on the latter option.

With a deep breath, Kate turned and began slowly descending the stairs.

-------

Todd was sitting in the den next to the fire in the fireplace with a well deserved glass of wine.  He was waiting to hear Kate scream.  Her scream was inevitable.

He knew when she saw his father's body she would, at the very least, scream.  She may even get sick.  

True, he hadn't had time to do much with the body after he'd knocked his naughty Katie into unconsciousness earlier, but Todd was sure what he did do would make an impression...

-------

Reaching the last stair, Kate stepped down onto the basement floor.  There was a little bit more light down here, which she thought was a good sign.  The light was natural, which meant that it was coming from the outside, which meant that there was an escape somewhere.  

She moved her hand across a wall in front of her trying to find a light switch.  There might be a little sunlight down here, but it's still hard to see.  

Gotcha, she thought triumphantly, feeling one.  Her finger flicked the switch.

A loud gasp escaped her lips, almost immediately after light entered the room, because the very first thing that caught her vision was red.  Blood.  There was fresh blood smeared on the wall, and it was now on her hand, too.  The blood trailed the entire length of the left side of the wall.  Kate's eyes widened in fear.