Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Kate?"

"M- Mom-.. Mom, you have to listen to me," Kate whispered into her cell phone.

"What is it, honey?"

Kate looked every which way urgently, praying to God he wasn't around.  "I've been kidnapped.  I've been kidnapped by Todd Delozier.  I need help.  Quick."

"Todd Del-"

Suddenly, running footsteps could be heard.  The cell phone accidently dropped from Kate's grasp as she tried to prepare herself for what was to happen next.

-- 

Kate felt a pounding headache coming on.  Her right hand raised to find the spot that was hurting so much.  It was her forehead..

What the-..  Her eyes fluttered open as memories of what had happened came to the surface.  

She and Todd had been standing in his kitchen.  She'd tried to leave, but..  Todd wouldn't let her.  He'd whispered something in her ear, and then she'd screamed and yelled and cried and tried to get away and-..  

The last thing Kate remembered were his eyes.  His blue eyes seemed to fly towards her, and that was it.

He'd hit her!  With his own forehead!  Her boss had actually physically attacked her!  And she'd been knocked unconscious.  Oh no...

Kate's eyes were squinted in pain as they stared upward.  She was lying on a couch in a room with high ceilings.  She could feel the glow and heat of a fire burning somewhere to her right.  My head hurts really bad..

-------

Todd could see that she was awake.  He was very much aware of her fear.  Let the games begin..  "Funny little contraptions," he began while twirling her cell phone in his right hand.  She struggled to sit up while holding her precious forehead.  Her eyes found his for a moment, and then they locked on what was in his hand.

He was holding the very object that had been the main part of her dream...  It was the one device that could be her way out of this.  She couldn't speak.  

"I remember the days before cell phones were invented."  He smirked a little.  "I rather liked those days."  He put the cell phone in his pocket.

Kate finally found her voice.  "Wh- what have you done?" she whispered, her words shaky.

He looked at her and frowned.  "Well, you were a very naughty girl, Katie.  I couldn't have you screaming like that all day.  Something had to be done and, well, I had to do it."

"Why?"  Why has this happened?  Her hands were shaking terribly as they moved away from her forehead.  She could see flakes of dried blood on them... 

Todd shrugged and replied, "You needed to know who is in charge here.  And ramming my forehead into yours was all I could think to do at the time."  He chuckled.  "Don't worry, I feel the pain of it, too.  In fact, we were both bleeding at one point."

He didn't seem to think anything of it...  "You're sick," she said, her voice still a whisper.  She chose that moment to try to stand, but the wave of dizziness that came over her caused her to nearly collapse back onto the couch.

He watched her calmly.  His sweet Katie was rather bold, he supposed.  "You're still incapacitated, I see."

There was silence as Kate thought about her situation.  It was bad, yes, but everyone knew she was supposed to be at work today.  If she couldn't make it out of this mess on her own, then people would surely come looking for her here first.

Todd took the time to gaze at her while she was undoubtedly trying to plan her escape.  There was a rather large knot on her forehead, which was to be expected.  It was unattractive, but it would soon heal.  His Katie would be beautiful again in no time.  

But, with the way she was behaving, he was afraid another intervention would have to take place soon enough.  If she could just adjust to her new life here, he wouldn't have to act so menacing.  He truly didn't want to scare her.  It wasn't his fault, though.  She was bringing this upon herself.

He cleared his throat, interrupting the silence.  "Are you done yet?"  This was becoming quite boring.

Kate blinked and looked at him again.  It was time for some answers.  "You killed Nathan, didn't you?"

The fact that his damnable father was still on her mind was infuriating.  He should not still be in the way!  "Yes, yes, I killed him," he replied with impatience.  "That should be the last thing on your sweet little mind.  The primary thing on your mind should be-"

"How could you kill your own father?" It was sick! "And what did you do with him?" she demanded, angry tears in her eyes.  Poor Nathan didn't deserve this!  That kind old man deserved to live the rest of his days out in peace!  Damn you, she thought while glaring at Todd.

That's it!  Todd had had enough of this interrogation.  She was treating him like he was a criminal!  

He'd never claimed to be a patient man.  If she wanted to know where his father's body was so badly, then she would just have to see for herself!  He was on his feet and right in front of her in the next second.  "You want to know what I did with the body?  Well, I'll allow you more than that!  You can see what I did with it!"  

He grabbed Kate's wrist and pulled her to her feet.  Then, he dragged her out of the cozy den and down a hallway mumbling the entire way.  "We could have had such a wonderful time next to the fire, but no.  'Caring Katie' just has to be curious about things that don't concern her.  I should've known..."

Kate's injured body was protesting as they practically ran down the hall.  "W-where are we going?"  Her anxiety was at an alltime high.  The first time she'd made him angry, he'd up and slammed his forehead into hers knocking her out in the process, and now she'd made him angry again...

"Well, we're going to see Father, of course."  

There was sarcasm in his tone and Kate didn't like it one bit.

They made it to a closed door with a key in the door knob and stopped.  

Kate tried to catch her breath and keep from vomiting due to the amount of pain she was in.  This was a nightmare!  It was a cruel nightmare!

Todd looked down at her mercilessly.  "I may love you more than you know, but your attitude is entirely inappropriate.  You need to learn your place."  

Her eyes widened in total fear as he opened the door.  It was pretty dark in there, but the light from the hallway allowed Kate to see that there was a small cement landing and a wooden staircase leading down to what appeared to be a basement.  

"You wanted this," Todd reminded her coldly.  "I'm only abiding by your wishes."

Then, without a hint of warning, he pushed her forward onto the landing, slammed the door shut, locked it, and walked away wiping his hands clean of the situation.

Kate was left in complete darkness.  It was right then that she seriously became scared for her life.

-------

I hope this chapter was enjoyable.  I know the violence can be a bit uncomfortable, but I am trying to portray this as a somewhat realistic kidnapping story.  In real life, kidnappings are not happy or romantic and they do involve physical violence.  

I have a lot of ideas for this story.  If you have any ideas, I would love to know!

Thanks for the reviews!!  SilverNotebook, snapesgirl, and rewys123, you all are so inspiring!

I really hope those of you who are reading this story are liking it.  Leave some feedback, please! :-)

-Lauren